Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling between cities with an IC card 2023/4/14 16:15
Hello,

In a couple of days I'll make my first ever trip to Japan. I'm (still) researching a lot about the train & bus-systems, but sometimes I get overwhelmed by all the information (different kind of trains, lines, fares/ticket, etc) I come across.

Besides travelling on the Shinkansen from Tokyo - Kyoto (for which we already bought tickets), we'd like to mainly use our (digital) Suica-card (Apple Wallet) as much as possible. For convenience purposes.

Could you reassure me that the following trains are fully covered by Suica (IC)? Meaning that you can simply swipe in and out of the gates, without the need to buy an extra separate ticket.

1. Narita Airport - Tokyo --> Keisei Narita Skyaccess
Our hotel is near Shimbashi-Station and this train seems to connect directly to that station without the need for a transfer. Depending on the time you take this train, it can sometimes change into a Limited Express somewhere along the route , but Google says to remain seated. So I guess that won't be a problem?

2. Kyoto - Nara (day-trip) --> Nara line (Rapid MiyakojiNara)

3. Kyoto - Osaka --> Tokaido Sanyo Line (Special Rapid Himeji)

Thank you in advice for your help.
Any other tips or alternatives are of course most welcome.

Warm regards.

PS: I read somewhere along the way that IC-cards can also be used to travel on certain trains with unreserved seats, but I assume you will still need to buy an extra (unreserved seat) ticket?
by Jorgo  

Re: Traveling between cities with an IC card 2023/4/14 17:01
1. Narita Airport - Tokyo --> Keisei Narita Skyaccess

As long as you don't take the Skyliner, you can pay the entire fare with Suica.

2. Kyoto - Nara (day-trip) --> Nara line (Rapid MiyakojiNara)

Covered!

3. Kyoto - Osaka --> Tokaido Sanyo Line (Special Rapid Himeji)

Covered!

PS: I read somewhere along the way that IC-cards can also be used to travel on certain trains with unreserved seats, but I assume you will still need to buy an extra (unreserved seat) ticket?

I guess you are talking about trains that require a supplement fee, such as the Skyliner, some limited express trains and shinkansen. Indeed, such supplement fees cannot usually not be paid with a swipe at the gates but should be purchased separately.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling between cities with an IC card 2023/4/14 18:52
Thank you very much Uji! I appreciate your help.
by Jorgo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread