Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass Price Increase in October 2023 2023/4/17 08:01
I read a few news stating that JR Group is going to raise the JR Pass Price quite significantly sometime in October 2023. My wife and I plan to travel to Japan late November. In the past, we purchased the JR Pass a few months prior to our trips. If we are to purchase the pass before the price is officially raised, are we going to pay the difference at the time of exchange? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
by lvtravel (guest)  

Re: JR Pass Price Increase in October 2023 2023/4/17 14:06
Cost is at time of voucher purchase. Not time of exchange.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass Price Increase in October 2023 2023/4/18 08:12
Thank you.
by lvtravel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass Price Increase in October 2023 2023/4/20 18:39
I have a further question on this topic, hopefully someone can still answer for me.
How long in advance of arrival can someone buy a JR Pass? I will be coming to Japan in March 2024. Would it be possible to buy a pass before the price increase in October, but not activate it until I arrive about 5 months later?
by SMacNZ rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass Price Increase in October 2023 2023/4/20 18:47

Would it be possible to buy a pass before the price increase in October, but not activate it until I arrive about 5 months later?
No
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass Price Increase in October 2023 2023/4/20 18:47
by haens (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass Price Increase in October 2023 2023/4/20 22:06
You heard correctly. Significantly is an understatement - about 70%! It will make justifying a pass very hard if not absurdly difficult. I really can't figure their thinking regarding this. Fortunately there has been no word of a similar increase for regional rail passes (yet....).
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread