Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

How to seal money envelope? 2023/5/6 09:25
I've been reading through several "how to" guides for money envelopes, but I have yet to find one that mentions how to actually seal them at the end. Is tape okay? Stickers? Do I tuck the flap inside the envelope?
by Gamma (guest)  

Re: How to seal money envelope? 2023/5/6 13:36
- If you are talking about the money envelope, either for celebratory occasion or for condolence, usually they come in two layers, and the inner envelope requires no glue, and the outer one is wrapped/closed with the gribbonh it comes with, or one end is inserted into the other, so again no glue is needed.

- Or if you are talking about the envelope for sending cash (registered) from the post office, please use glue, not tape. The reason is that you need to sign/stamp after youfve sealed it.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How to seal money envelope? 2023/5/6 18:03
Sorry, I forgot there were multiple kinds. It'd be like a present you'd give a friend just because, not for any special occasion. And it'd be given in person.
by Gamma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to seal money envelope? 2023/5/7 15:02
Even if it is gjust becauseh kinda gift, if you are using one of those typical traditional money envelopes often sold at stationery stores, what I said earlier applies :)

If it is just a regular pretty letter writing pad/envelope set (like those sold by Hallmark and other design stationers), i would probably use a cute sticker or something. With the flap outside. Scotch tape would be a bit tooc practical.

Re: How to seal money envelope? 2023/5/7 17:55
I'm just curious about what the OP is trying to do.

In Japan, you don't normally give cash as a regular present. Cash is given when there is an occasion. The occasion would typically be things like celebrating the receiver's success, or as a thank you gift for something the receiver went through or are going to go through. And there is a special envelope for each occasion (the former being Œäj‚¢ and the latter being Œä—ç).

Sometimes a person senior to the receiver would give a little money as a sort of an allowance, like a "you go on and buy something with this" type of thing. In that case, the money would typically be put in a pochi-bukuro which is a very tiny special envelope. A visiting relative might do this to a youngster.

If I'm returning money that I borrowed from a friend, I might put it in a random cute envelope and stamp a pretty sticker to close it, just as AK suggested, but I couldn't imagine a case where a person of Japanese culture would be accepting "a present you'd give a friend just because, not for any special occasion" in cash.

Just my two cents.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to seal money envelope? 2023/5/7 21:05
Okay.. What I mean is that it's not for a wedding, birthday, birth, etc. Which is what all of the guides online are for. I'm traveling halfway around the world to see someone very important to me and to give him and his wife money to support them because things have been hard for them lately. He's posted previously about receiving money from friends for no real occasion, so I figure there's some kind of casual guideline for that.
Thanks for the help.
by Gamma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to seal money envelope? 2023/5/7 21:22
OK, if that is the case, anything would be fine. Just an envelope, either sealed or not sealed, maybe sealed with a sticker.

It is true, Ifve been wondering about the occasion too – because in Japan, as Uco-san mentioned, we donft really give cash as gifts (I would give gift cards usable at many retail locations, book gift cards to relativesf kids, etc.) but now if thatfs the case, you donft even need to use any of those specific-purpose envelopes at all.

reply to this thread