Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Hiroshima, Miyajima May 19th-21st G7 summit 2023/5/9 08:57
We've booked to travel to Hiroshima May19th to the 21st but only realised now the summit is held on those dates. Will it still be worthwhile going? or will everywhere be closed. We're flying out around 4pm on the 21st but Miyajima only opens on the 20th at 2pm. Can we see Miyajima properly if we go early in the morning on the 21st?
by JCT (guest)  

Re: Hiroshima, Miyajima May 19th-21st G7 summit 2023/5/9 20:04
Hello! I don't know for Hiroshima, but for Miyajima, if you are not planning to take the ropeway to mount Misen, one morning is "enough". 2.5 hours to walk around the small town, 30 minutes for the shrine, assuming you arrive around 8 am and don't have to fight your way through the crowd. You won't have time for shopping though.

The high tide is at 10:10 am on the 21st. This is pretty good for a morning visit, unless you really want to walk underneath the torii.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima, Miyajima May 19th-21st G7 summit 2023/5/10 00:57
I am surprised you could book a hotel.

I would not go, most things are closed or will be slowly reopening.

Miyajima is closed to all tourists from 2:00 pm on 5/18-5/20
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3401.html

I would not want to risk any additional difficulties going on the 21st, since there could be restrictions and limited trains.

Japan Guide doesn't have it listed but there were several threads on Japan Travel on Reddit about more closures within Hiroshima itself.

https://hpmmuseum.jp/modules/news/index.php?action=PageView&page_id=52...

The Peace Memorial Museum is closed from the 18-22nd and the Peace Park is going to be "restricted."

You could not pay me to go to Hiroshima during the G7.

If you are flying from Hiroshima Airport on the 21st I would want to get there early because while usually Japanese Airports are not such a big deal, this is still around the G7 and I expect security will be tight.

I was in Japan for the G20 in June 2019 (but not in Osaka where it was actually held) and all locker banks I saw on Honshu were closed so trying to do anything on the 21st could be hard if you were planning to rely on locker use. (the same will be true on the 19th.)

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima, Miyajima May 19th-21st G7 summit 2023/5/10 04:08
As a person who has lived in locations which has been affected by major events (National Congresses in China and and upcoming Nato summit in my current city) - some things will be open but it won't be anything like the normal flexibility.

If possible - change your schedule.

Others will know more than I.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima, Miyajima May 19th-21st G7 summit 2023/5/10 07:51
I'm avoiding the core weekend days, but arriving shortly after. The main reason was lack of good hotels that were taking bookings and those few that had space, most were pretty terrible. They are still changing the schedule for the G7 participants and adding more disruption, but there will still be places open - just that some of the major attractions will be off limits.
As for Miyajima, yes, you could do a half-day visit, but there is a lot more to see than the shine and torii gate and pretty easy to spend a full day there.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima, Miyajima May 19th-21st G7 summit 2023/5/12 01:00
Hiroshima is one of the Few cities in this eart h,which made great impact to world order. Who will take responsibility,if no mankind will go one step further ,until hiroshima get prope r judgement.
by Good luck hiroshima (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima, Miyajima May 19th-21st G7 summit 2023/5/12 22:58
I just changed trains at Kyoto Station and the banks of lockers to the right after you enter the central entry gates where you go to the Haruka train to Kansai airport had signs pasted all over that they would be closed during the G7 days.....don't know about outside lockers as I was just transferring trains....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima, Miyajima May 19th-21st G7 summit 2023/5/14 12:37
Locker closures are a normal event for the G7 across a wide area including Kyoto (where I am currently) and (of course) Hiroshima. They did the same thing with the last G7 in Ise.
Hiroshima will have a lot of disruption around the summit core days, but stores on Miyajima are already closing and people/crowds are less. The Peace Park has a temporary fence around it to restrict access (as an example) and there are tons of police everywhere.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread