Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

teaching in japan 2023/5/12 23:31
Can you be a solo teacher in any other subjects other than english in japan?
by teach (guest)  

Re: teaching in japan 2023/5/13 06:00
It depends on what you define as teaching.

In general - I place teaching into two different categories which are different.

(1) Language teaching. This job normally requires a degree (of some sort) for visa purposes and you teach people a second language. Note that there are other languages apart from English - but I honestly see these as more of a tutor position.

(2) Actual teachers. Japan has a good number of international schools which requires international teachers. Unlike language teaching, these jobs require a 4 year teaching degree and normally a minimum of 2 years experience. As a teacher who has worked internationally for over a decade (including 3 years in Japan) - I can say that there are many more people applying for positions than positions available.

Most of the jobs also tend to be advertised in a gated environment which I won't talk about too much here, but I will say it's for admins sanity as there are only so many TEFL tutors resumes you can flip through for a science teachers position.

If you want to teach Math or History to locals - this might be possible theoretically but I have no idea how you'd get a visa or people wanting to employ such a person since there is not much current need for this.

Others will know WAY more about the tutoring space than I
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: teaching in japan 2023/5/13 07:05
Thanks.
I don't really care if it's language but I was wondering if there were any more opportunities avaiable
by teach (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: teaching in japan 2023/5/13 10:49
Just throwing out there...

If you're a US citizen there is also a chance you can teach on a military base in Japan. I am not sure how teachers are picked, but I had a friend many many years ago who was a teacher in Florida and decided she wanted to travel more (and get paid more) and became a civilian teacher for the US military. She expected to get sent to Guam, but ended up in Yokosuka Navy Base. Since the base was full, she lived in Japan, but worked in the US (on the base) but eventually got a spot on base, before eventually moving to Germany for better opportunities for her kid.

If you're not a US Citizen I don't think it will happen. But it is an additional way to get to Japan as a teacher and not just teach English.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: teaching in japan 2023/5/16 07:04
I am a US citizen so that was helpful

thanks
by teach (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: teaching in japan 2023/5/16 15:36
Note that you need to be a qualified teacher and although it's not as competitive as international teaching, there are quite a few people who apply for these jobs.

Yokosuke Airbase would also be a nice place to live - I've only been there a couple of times and it feels as though your not in Japan sometimes....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: teaching in japan 2023/5/16 22:23
Yes, you must be an actual teacher within the US/have your teaching credentials.

Back when she got the job, Japan was not considered a plum assignment (again I think she was hoping for and expecting Guam) and you don't get to pick as much until you are in the system. I know for her, the job paid better than in her local district and gave her a chance to travel easier.

I got to visit her on base and it was an odd experience. I use to send myself packages using USPS instead of Japan post from there, so it was way cheaper lol

Yokosuka is probably the best base in terms of being near Tokyo. I know there are also bases in Misawa and Iwakuni. Misawa is Air Force and I forget what Iwakuni is. I spent some time talking to people from the base in Misawa when I was trapped at Osorezan in '09.

But I suspect it is an easier job to get then trying to teach in an International School.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: teaching in japan 2023/5/17 16:51
When I was a university student (about 30 years ago), I took a cultural anthropology class. I forgot whether he was a lecturer, professor, or assistant professor, but he was a Western professor.
He speaks Japanese and took classes in Japanese.
Christian universities, multinational universities, and national universities may offer classes in English.
I've been learning gospel for about six years, and I've learned songs a few times from sisters at a church in Atsugi base.
If you're an African-American church pastor (even if you're not a pastor, if you're a musician by profession), you can also become a gospel teacher.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: teaching in japan 2023/5/17 17:10
The Yokota Air Base is the only U.S. military base in the prefecture of Tokyo, and is convenient to central Tokyo.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread