Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Haneda to Matsumoto - quickly 2023/6/2 20:50
I'll be landing at Haneda at 8pm and want to be in Kamikocho the next day around 2pm to start hiking, which i assume means spending a night in Tokyo, buying the train tickets and boarding at around 0800 from Ueno.

I was planning to stay in Asakusa, and then catch an 0800 shinkansen from Ueno to Nagano, an express to Matsumtoto, then to Kamikochi via train and Alpico bus. I know all these places, so this is a route that would be simple for me to navigate.

Is there a more logical or time-efficient way to take the journey from Haneda to Matsumoto given my arrival time? Is there a more time-efficient place to stay overnight? I'd prefer to take trains rather than buses.

by insecteater  

Re: Haneda to Matsumoto - quickly 2023/6/3 08:25
It would seem that by bus you can still make it to Matsumoto the same night arriving very late. (I assumed you could take transport from Haneda at 21:15).

If train you might be able to make it as far as Nagano f you can catch the last Shinkansen from Tokyo station which seems to leave shortly after 22:00.

A third alternative is last express train from Shinjuku to Kofu which seems to leave at 23:00.

(All these times obviously depend on the actual day you are traveling)

So if you are willing to wing your accommodation and book it once you have landed in Japan and know which route you will take, you could sleep in Matsumoto, Kofu or Nagano
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda to Matsumoto - quickly 2023/6/3 10:25
Thanks LikeBike, I hadn't thought of getting as far as possible after arrival, I'll look at those options. Having just had a 9 hr flight, I thought it best to stretch my legs and get a good nights sleep before I start my hike the next day. I also thought it best to stay in Tokyo in case of flight delays - I can absorb a late arrival at a tokyo hotel, but not missing the last train to Nagano. However, If I'm happy to wing it for the first night (I'm not sure I am if I'm outside tokyo) then all is possible.
by insecteater rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda to Matsumoto - quickly 2023/6/3 10:25
2pm is rather late to start hiking in Kamikochi, where are you planning to go?
by Tee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda to Matsumoto - quickly 2023/6/3 10:59
Taking a Shinkansen from Ueno to Nagano around 8:00 is obviously a possibility. Maybe I was mislead by your title saying you want to get to Matsumoto as quickly as possible, interpreting this as EARLY as possible.

If you want as little bus as possible the Shinkansen through Nagano is the fastest connection. There are earlier Shinkansen than the 8:00. And I agree with PP that arriving in Kamikochi around 14:00 only gives you time for a short walk, not a hike.

Staying in Tokyo the night of arrival makes sense if being as quickly as possible in Kamikochi isnft the end goal. Ifd however reconsider about Bus as there are more direct options by bus from Shinjuku. Including some direct busses. I believe thatfs the fastest way overall to get from Haneda to Kamikochi.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda to Matsumoto - quickly 2023/6/3 17:33
Hi Tee, yes 2pm would be considered late for starting a hike, but I'll just go to Tokusawaen that day, before heading to Mt Yari, the Daikiretto, Kita, Oku, etc. I've unfinished business, having stood at Minamidake in the pre-dawn and decided it was too windy for the Daikiretto. I'll be up there for a few days.

My Bad, LikeBike, quickly, whilst having a good sleep and minimising stress. The title might better have used the term 'efficiently for an old bloke' rather than quickly. Your certainly provided the quickest routes.

I can do the Gran Class on the way back, so I'll look more closely at the Kofu options, but I need my sleep, and I've a big walk ahead.

PS I like bikes too and have a frightful assemblage of steel adventure/touring/cargo bikes, though have never toured in Japan.

Re: Haneda to Matsumoto - quickly 2023/6/3 19:26
Then 2pm is totally fine! Make sure to get all the reservations before you go, things have changed since covid! And enjoy the hike, I hope you have good weather.

Went last year from Nishiho to Okuho and wanted to continue all the way to Yari and weather was horrible on day 2.. will try again this summer too :D

Re: Haneda to Matsumoto - quickly 2023/6/3 19:56
Thanks! I see that most sanso and hyutte are requiring advance bookings now (but also commit to their leasehold requirement of not turning anyone away?) Obviously this makes it a bit tricky if you're going slower than expected or the weather closes in. Any suggestions on managing hut bookings would be appreciated!

I'm open to the Nishiho - Okuho - Yari - Kamikochi route, but on my map it shows that it'll take 10hrs from the hut 1:30 from the top station to Okuho? Maybe I should start another thread on this topic...

Re: Haneda to Matsumoto - quickly 2023/6/3 20:03
Also Shinhotaka ropeway is currently not running so youll have to walk all the way.

This is how we walked it last year but without the ropeway youll need an extra day to get up.

https://www.allthepeaks.com/post/gendarme

Yeah, they really dont want to you to rock up without reservation. I dont think theyll turn anybody away but they will be pissed. Some also mention that without reservation itfs 2000-3000\ extra.
I honesty like it, no more futon sharing :D

Re: Haneda to Matsumoto - quickly 2023/6/3 20:37
It looks like the ropeway is closed for maintenance on 20 September, the day we would start, so my hope of saving me knees for a bit looks to be dashed. If I can't book directly, I might have to use a thoughtfully provided service!

Re: Haneda to Matsumoto - quickly 2023/6/3 21:11
Good luck! I think end of September is a good time for this hike!

reply to this thread