Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Suica issue this June 2023/6/3 02:57
I read on the recent news that JREAST will limit their issuance of SUICA / PASSMO cards this June 2023 due to shortage of chips.

I still have my ICOCA card, but the last time I used that was back in 2018.

I'll land in Narita Airport 2 this late June, is there a chance I can reload my ICOCA card at the airport? Or I can only reload that when I'm in JR West?

Note:
I'll be traveling across Japan, at least from Hokkaido to Kansai and need a reliable IC Card that works everywhere. I'm not sure if the Welcome SUICA is a good option, as I think it has its limits in other places other than the great Tokyo region. I might be wrong.
by japanekko  

Re: Suica issue this June 2023/6/3 07:23
I still have my ICOCA card, but the last time I used that was back in 2018.

Then you will be able to continue using your Icoca card without any problems. The cards remain valid unless you don't use them for 10 years.

You will be able to charge it anywhere in Japan, including Narita Airport.

Welcome SUICA is a good option, as I think it has its limits in other places other than the great Tokyo region. I might be wrong.

You are wrong about the geographical limits. Like a regular Suica card, it can be used nationwide. However, I personally would never go for a Welcome Suica, because it expires after 4 weeks and does not allow for refunds.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Suica issue this June 2023/6/3 07:44
Given how many millions of cards are issued each year I wonder how the "limitation" will work in practice. Registered cards will continue to be issued without limitations according to a newspaper article on the subject (referring only to Eastern Japan operators).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Suica issue this June 2023/6/3 08:43
Our cards were first purchased in 2013 I think, and needed to be reactivated after not being used for a year or so.

We tried them in Nagoya in April this year, first time since the end of 2018, they worked fine. It's great they now have 10 year lifespan.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica issue this June 2023/6/3 18:26
Update to my earlier reply. While out today I did buy another set of cards at Shinjuku as I needed them for a particular job. When arriving back at my smaller local station this afternoon (still 42nd busiest in the world apparently), the machines had signs up already saying sale of ammonized cards has been halted. It was a featured item on the "train news" as well.
OP will have no problem as card is recent. I guess people will need to get personalised cards from a ticket office.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Suica issue this June 2023/6/11 07:27
Thank you very much for all the responses!
Helps a lot.

I'll try to recharge my ICOCA when I arrive in Narita.
by japanekko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread