Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Quiet places near tokyo 2023/6/11 07:46
Hello,

Can anybody tell me any places near tokyo or in it if possible that is quiet and residential. I want something with a bunch of convenience stores and small stores in a close distance. I don't want it to be a loud and crowded place. Just somewhere where you can raise kids safely. Honestly, it doesn't really have to be near tokyo. Just those really peaceful, convenient neighborhoods where everything I need is pretty much walking distance. Somehow I feel like this isn't actually a place but does anyone know somewhere that fits at least some of these requirements?
by bleh (guest)  

Re: Quiet places near tokyo 2023/6/11 08:24
Uhmmm,… do you know Tokyo? Where are you living now? Where is your work?

I live in Tokyo (specifically in Shimokitazawa) for a cumulative 4 years now and I love living in Tokyo because for me it is a Very relaxing place.
Anyway ,I live 5 min or less by foot from Shimokitazawa station and the only noise I hear in my apartment are birds and soon the cicada in my small garden. I even met a washbear outside my apartment some months ago.

I have a friend who lives maybe 500 m from Roppongi crossing and his place is equally quiet.

If you see those pictures of Shinjuku you think it must be hell living inTokyo, but no one (or nearly no one ) is living in THAT part of Shinjuku. Other parts of Shinjuku are very residential.

I actually cannot think of any friends house that is in a noisy environment.

Most stations have around them a bunch of shops for all the daily necessities. Tokyo is a city where you never need a car and can do all your daily activities either walking, cycling or taking the public transport.

So unless you take an apartment on a busy thoroughfare road odds are that your apartment will be quiet. If you take one reasonably close to a station, odds are you have all shops around you.

There are certain areas, like around Shinjuku station or Tokyo station that are nearly exclusively dedicated to commerce or business where you wouldn’t want to live. But there are LOADS of neighborhoods where you can live a quiet life, raise your kids, have them walk alone to school from around 6 years, do all the shopping on foot/bicycle.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Quiet places near tokyo 2023/6/11 08:40
Do you mean outside of the greater Tokyo area, or a neighbourhood inside Tokyo that is not central Shinjuku/Shibuya? If the second, there are a lot of places that fit that requirement, including in Shinjuku (as an example) that I have been through over the years.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Quiet places near tokyo 2023/6/11 12:30
Hi Bleh,

There just are too many. How do you think we grow up? Or where do you think all those working moms and dads come from?

And by "I want something with a bunch of convenience stores and small stores in a close distance", I think you're talking about "shou-ten-gai" (shopping arcades) where a lot of mom-and-pop stores are as opposed to big chain stores like the convenience stores that run their electricity 24/7.

Just tell us your ideal location, and someone will definitely be able to lead you to some nice neighborhoods. If you could tell us the ages of your kids and your budget, that would help too.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Quiet places near tokyo 2023/6/12 11:15
Futago-tamagawa, around Seta 1-chome area would probably fit your bill
by L (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread