Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Luggage storage before Shikoku pilgrimage 2023/6/25 22:52
I'm wondering if there is anywhere to store excess baggage before beginning a multi-day walk in Shikoku. We will be doing a part of the 88-temple pilgrimage. There are things I would like to take on my trip to Japan that I don't necessarily want to carry around or use during this hike, but I can't seem to find any information about services to store extra bags temporarily. It sounds like a number of guesthouses no longer offer this service. Should I be looking at higher-end hotels and arranging this ahead of time? Thanks for any info.
by Pattio  

Re: Luggage storage before Shikoku pilgrimage 2023/6/26 07:42
Multiple options
- coin locker —> depending on where you want to leave your luggage there may be coin lockers for multiple days. Also depending on how long you want to leave your luggage
- hotel/guesthouse—> if you come through the place where youfll stay after the hike , ask that hotel /guesthouse if they can keep your luggage for some days. There isnft a written rule which hotels/guesthouses do it. So just ask.
-TaQBin —> this is probably the easiest solution. Shop you luggage from the city you are staying before the hike to the hotel / guesthouse youfll be staying afterwards. If I remember correctly you can give a delivery date 7 days after shipment. If your hike is longer speak with your hotel/guesthouse. Also speak with your hotel /guesthouse if they accept shipments. If they donft you can have it shipped to a TaQBin office instead and pick it up there.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage before Shikoku pilgrimage 2023/6/26 21:25
Thank you! The Ta-Q-Bin idea sounds great. The walk will be 9 days long, so I guess we would need to know the name of our final hotel on Shikoku and then we would contact that place to see if they would agree to receive our baggage and hold it for 2 days before we arrive. So that could work.

The coin locker may be problematic because they only seem to be available for 3 days. Asking guesthouses could work, but we would need the answer in advance because it will affect how we pack before we leave for Japan. I've messaged 1 place so far and they said no! This also restricts us to bigger and pricier places because the smaller guesthouses' websites are completely in Japanese and I'm not sure how I would contact them.

I'm really curious what other "pilgrims" do about this, especially on even longer walks.
by Pattio rate this post as useful

reply to this thread