Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Electric adapter for devices in hotels 2023/7/2 17:56
Hi!

Do Japanese hotels (mainly in Tokyo and Kyoto) have electric adapters for European devices?

I am planing on buying an adapter on the airport when I arrive i Japan.

Thank you.
by RainySeasonLover (guest)  

Re: Electric adapter for devices in hotels 2023/7/2 20:03
Depends on the hotel. The more fancy ones likely yes. But better to bring your own.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Electric adapter for devices in hotels 2023/7/3 08:13
The main electronic stores (BicCamera, Yodobashi Camera) sell them - last one I got was around 600 yen. Easy to get.
Some hotels have universal sockets that take different plug shapes - might not work for all combinations, but I do see them from time to time.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Electric adapter for devices in hotels 2023/7/3 10:55
Or buy one from your home country before you leave
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electric adapter for devices in hotels 2023/7/3 16:09
there are many types. some are EU <-- Japan, others are EU --> Japan. instruction is written in Japanese.

it is better for you to buy it in your country. what you need to ask to the stores is the adapter which fits to USA. the items which fit to USA will fit to Japan.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electric adapter for devices in hotels 2023/7/4 01:09
If you only have usb c / usb a charging cables I wouldn't even bother takin it with me (unpess required for the flight) and just buy a charger in a conbini or electric store.
They have the right plug and are small, way smaller than those travel adapters
by max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electric adapter for devices in hotels 2023/7/4 08:26
As a follow-up to my previous post, stores like BicCamera carry the full range of adapters both for people arriving into Japan and needing to plug their devices in, and for people travelling overseas and taking their Japan devices. In general, the adapters are tiny, nothing more than they need to be. Most of the ones I have are approximately one cubic inch for three pin plugs. Two pin is a lot smaller than that.

Re: Electric adapter for devices in hotels 2023/7/24 23:20
Most European devices, chargers and laptop powerbricks will work on 110v. So the only thing needed is a plug size converter.
by novwnl rate this post as useful

Re: Electric adapter for devices in hotels 2023/7/25 04:05
It was my understanding that Japan voltage is 100v, like here in the US, we use 110v so to be 95% safe, I was told to get a converter. Would suck to damage your phone with the voltage difference.
by DavidHouston rate this post as useful

Re: Electric adapter for devices in hotels 2023/7/25 05:17
I wouldn't worry about electronics. They automatically convert the voltage. My laptop, iPad and iPhone charged perfectly fine in Japan from the Us and also in Europe. The only difference is that Japan doesn't use the third, grounded plug. In Europe, I just used a plug adapter. Never have I taken a 'converter' if that's what you're referring to transformer.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electric adapter for devices in hotels 2023/7/25 07:08
That 110 volt mentioned above is the nominal voltage. Don't get too hung up about it.
In reality you would be getting anywhere between 100 and 120 volts. Here in Japan I have had occasions and places where the voltage was definitely on the low side.
For countries running 230V it is common for the range to be 220 or even 215 on the low side and up to 245 or 250 volts on the high side. Power grids aim to keep things within +/- 5%, but +/-10% occurs. (previous life working in the electricity industry)

reply to this thread