Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

shrine with 1000 faces 2023/7/7 19:46
I heard there there is a shrine (or temple) with 1000 faces, where anyone who visits the shrine can choose a face that appeals to him, and pick it up to reveal a "say" about life - that a person can focus on for better life. Is there anyone who is familiar with this place?
by Vickyt  

Re: shrine with 1000 faces 2023/7/8 04:11
Sounds like Sanjusangendo in Kyoto
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3900.html
by Walkingfool rate this post as useful

Re: shrine with 1000 faces 2023/7/8 06:46
Hmmm… but what about the part of where anyone who visits the shrine can choose a face that appeals to him, and pick it up to reveal a "say" about life

You can’t touch any of the statues at Sanjusangendo

🤔
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: shrine with 1000 faces 2023/7/8 10:55
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: shrine with 1000 faces 2023/7/8 12:35
You cannot pick up the statues or pull off their heads at Otagi Nenbutsuji or Adashino Nenbutsuji temples either.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: shrine with 1000 faces 2023/7/11 19:04
Thank you for your answers, I myself was wondering about the idea of touching the status in any temple or shrine.
by Vickyt rate this post as useful

Re: shrine with 1000 faces 2023/7/11 19:25
out of topic, as a manga anime fan, the Sanjusangendo in Kyoto looks like the one portraied in Gantz an old manga I sued to read. So thanks for your link, I'll bookmark it for my next visit in Kyoto.
by cochese rate this post as useful

Re: shrine with 1000 faces 2023/7/11 21:54
@Vickyt It is possible that this temple exists, but it is very difficult to find it with almost no information. It may even be in someplace like China, Taiwan, Vietnam, etc. rather than Japan. If you know any more information, it could help.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: shrine with 1000 faces 2023/7/12 09:20
About touching the statues, we went to a temple or shrine (I think in Kawagoe) where the suggestion was you could walk around after dark and touch the statues, and one that felt warm to your touch was an indication of your temperament and future path. The deal seemed to be go in after dark, figure out which was 'yours' and identify it in some way ie fifth statue in on the third row on the left of the central path, then come back in the morning to find out about it.

Which all seemed like much more work than I was prepared to do.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread