Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Visa status change from Student to Worker 2023/7/10 03:23
Hello, everyone!

I'm an exchange student at a university here (not a Language School) and I have been accepted by a Japanese company to work with them after my period of study.

The problem is, I've read in some blogs they will ask me to present my attendance rate from the Japanese School (Idk if it applies as well to universities) and the one of the last semester is pretty, pretty bad, mainly because of personal reasons and because I don't the credits. However, when I went to the Immigration Office to ask about the requirements and the documents I have to gather, they didn't mention that. Also in the official website of Immigration Office of Japan I found the list with the documents required (same as the one they gave me at the office) and it doesn't say anything about the attendance. I have already all the documents, those related to the employer and those to the employee and everything seems to be in order. I'm just afraid of being asked later in the process of visa change the attendance rate.
Does someone know if presenting the attendance rate is mandatory for changing from student visa to working visa in all cases? And if so, does it become complete impossible to get the new visa with a bad attendance rate?

Thank you!
by Hugo (guest)  

Re: Visa status change from Student to Worker 2023/7/10 14:07
No one knows what immigration will you ask you later on. If they didn't mention anything about it yet, then why worry about it now? We can't give you an answer to this as we don't work with immigration.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa status change from Student to Worker 2023/7/11 08:57
Hello. I just changed my student visa to work visa. I did not have to submit attendance rate but submitted the transcript + graduation certificate. It is more important to prove that you gave a degree in the field that you will be working in.
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

Re: Visa status change from Student to Worker 2023/7/11 09:00
I am not a lawyer, but as far as i know:

With employer-sponsored resident status application, what the immigration authorities look for is that you meet the requirements for THAT particular type of resident status, be it a bachelorfs degree, work experience, and/or certain qualifications, and the companyfs willingness and ability to sponsor you - the contract outlining the type of work you will do and the salary.

If it was an exchange program, and a successful completion of that exchange program does not constitute a part of the requirement for that type of work resident status, bad attendance is unlikely to be an issue.

The reason why they might ask for attendance is just to make sure that the applicant was genuinely and earnestly studying at the language school while under gstudenth status, and not just using it as a pretext to be in Japan to start working, or engage in some other activities.

In your case, even if they did ask for attendance, there seems to be a valid reason you can provide, so why worry before they ask? :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Visa status change from Student to Worker 2023/7/11 10:54
Thank you all for your reassuring words!!
It definitely seems like I'm not gonna need to show the attendance rate.
My bachelor's degree fits perfectly the job position I've been offered, so no need to worry, I guess.
Thanks again!
by Hugo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa status change from Student to Worker 2023/7/11 11:30
Good luck. It recently took me 3 months 3 days to change my status of residence at Shinagawa Immigration Office in Tokyo. I filed the application at the busiest time of the year. I hope it will not take as long for you and in the meantime, if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to reach out.
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

reply to this thread