Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Kumano Kodo planning issue 2023/7/11 00:49
Hello,

I am trying to plan the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage but would need some advices.

Day 0: Bus from Koyosan to Tanabe-Kii. Afternoon and overnight in Tanabe-Kii.

Day 1: Bus to Takijiri-Oji and hike to Tsugizakura. Overnight in Tsugizakura.

Day 2: Hike from Tsugizakura to Kumano Hongu Taisha.

--> Is it nicer to stay in Kumano Hongu hostel or Yunomine hostel?

Day 3: My initial plan was to hike to Koguchi, stay there overnight and hike on to Nachi Taisha on day 4.

It seems, however, that all accomodations are fully booked in Koguchi. The only reservation I managed to make is for Sansaro Cafe but it is not actually in Koguchi but in Kumanogawacho (15' by bus - not sure how often it runs...) and it is quiet expensive for lower quality than other options along the trail...

--> What would be the best option according to you?

1. take the bus and stay at Sansaro cafe as currently planned. Hike on the next day.
2. hike to Koguchi, take the bus back to Hongu Taisha and then back to Koguchi the next morning to hike from there to Nachi Taisha.
3. hike to Koguchi, take the bus to Nachikatsuura and then back to Koguchi the next morning to hike from there to Nachi Taisha.
4. hike to Koguchi, take the bus to Nachikatsuura and use the last day to travel (by bus or train) to Hayatama Taisha.

I am really puzled. All experiences or opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Maïté
by Maite (guest)  

Re: Kumano Kodo planning issue 2023/7/11 11:35
Yunomine is a small onsen town (which is quite atmospheric) and is home to one of the oldest onsen baths in Japan. I really love the J Hoppers Yunomine Hostel - offers both dorm and single rooms. Very large and comfortable kitchen/common area and onsen on the premises. That is a top quality hostel style accommodation. I have been to Honshu (which is a slightly bigger town) but have not stayed there so I can only comment on Yunomine.
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano Kodo planning issue 2023/7/11 14:44
Small correction, rechecking my options after sending the original post, I would change option 3 and 4 to stay in Shingu and either go back to the trail in Koguchi from there or take a bus towards Nachikatsuura.
by Maite (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano Kodo planning issue 2023/7/23 23:53
Hello,

Thanks for your feedback "Bizarre journeys". I read really great feedback on J Hoppers Yunomine Hostel and you are confirming this so I will stay there on my second night on the trail. I cancelled the next night at Sansaro cafe as it seemed like an expensive choice for a poor experience. I will take the bus from Yunomine to Koguchi and hike the last stretch to Nachisan (skipping day 3 of hiking). As I will arrive in the afternoon, I will be able to visit Nachisan shrine that day and will stay in Nachikatsuura overnight. The next day I could go to the tuna auction in the morning and take a bus to Shingu to see the third shrine but would it be best to come back and sleep one more night in Nachikatsuura, stay overnight in Shingu or leave late afternoon to Osaka (if there is not enough to keep myself busy all day long in that area)? Has anyone experienced these two towns?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Maite
by Maite (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread