Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Itinery advice 2023/7/14 22:37
Hi everyone,
Starting to put together an itinerary for March 24. At the moment if I book the flight i've seen we would arrive in Tokyo on 27th at around 10:30am We will then depart Tokyo on 11th April in the morning.
So I need help with arranging an itinerary that will include:

31st March - day at Hanshin racecourse
7th April - day at Suzuka for the F1 grand prix

What would you suggest for first time visitors. We are v keen to visit Kyoto and Tokyo with possible trip to Mount Fuji and the Snow monkeys. We don't want to be moving too much but would like to combine a bit of rural Japan too. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
by Ck24  

Re: Itinery advice 2023/7/15 04:05
One issue is the snow monkeys in March/April - you probably won't find them bathing in late March because it is not cold enough.

Based on your musts criteria (Hanshin Racecourse and Suzuka Circuit) and their dates:
(1) Mt Fuji (suggest either from Fuji Five Lakes area or Hakone) on 3/28 and 29,
(2) Go to Kobe/Osaka 3/30 and 31 for the Hanshin Racecourse,
(3) Go to Kyoto 4/1 to 4/5,
(4) Go to Suzuka (nearest big city is Nagoya) 4/6 and 4/7,
(5) Spend the rest in Tokyo.

If you still want to include Nagano (Snow Monkeys, bathing or not), you can try going on 3/28 & 29. Then you will have to squeeze Mt. Fuji in between Suzuka and Tokyo.

by ITO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinery advice 2023/7/15 05:28
I fully agree with ITO. With these two dates already planned, you don't have much choice. 4 days in Kyoto and 4 in Tokyo is good for a first trip :)
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Itinery advice 2023/7/15 07:14
For Suzuka, I would probably suggest staying near the track in a city such as Yokkaichi. Trains from Nagoya will be packed. If you stay in Yokkaichi, you can take the Kintetsu line to Tsu and then the Ise Tetsudo train, arriving at Suzuka Circuit Ino Station from the south. Believe me, it's better to be on a more 'local' line than the ones that go to Nagoya. I stayed at the Toyoko Inn Kintetsu Yokkaichi Friday, Saturday and Sunday night for the race in 2017 and the proximity to the circuit made it more comfortable, then again, I left for Matsusaka and Ise after that weekend, so the return to Nagoya was not necessary. The train I took to the track was the Ise Line from Yokkaichi Station to Suzuka Circuit Ino. Don't confuse it with Suzuka Station, as the latter is not close to the track. I don't know if the Ise Line runs that way anymore.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinery advice 2023/7/15 20:25
thank you so much. If we were to spend a few days around the F1 in Ise city or somewhere nearby is there anywhere you would recommend that might give us a flavour of more rural Japan?
by Ck24 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinery advice 2023/7/16 06:05
One other wild card is how much importance you have regarding seeing the cherry blossoms. For the last few years, the season has started around a week or a bit more earlier; this could be the new "normal". But you could likely still see quite a lot in the area, or go to higher elevations to see them at the start of your trip.
Some temples famous for them in Kyoto will likely be jammed with people though, so picking a place with more petals than people would be more satisfying.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinery advice 2023/7/16 15:41
Hi Ken thanks my daughter who is learning Japanese (16) would love to see the blossom! I am worried about Kyoto being rammed! Son and husband are unlikely to tolerate lots of busy busy temples very well. Any suggestions of spots do blossom. Feels like Kyoto is a must for first time Japan visitors like us but I would be keen to find alternatives if there are other places!
by Ck24 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinery advice 2023/7/16 16:28
Any suggestions of spots do blossom.

Kamogawa (Kamo river) from Demachi-Yanagi to the Kami-gamo shrine. This route is called "Nakaragi-no Michi". Kyoto peaple are proud of the river. You can walk along the river and there are cherry blossom trees.

http://kyotomoyou.jp/kamogawa-nakaragi-20130405

Kami-gamo shrine and the Kyoto botanical garden are also nice.

If you go downstream to Sanjo or Shijo you can see people (mostly couples) sitting on the riverbank. Interestingly they sit regular intervals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8uZbLm_z5w

Arashiyama park observatory

https://recotripp.com/spot/119440

Though you must ascend about 20 min or so, the observatory is not so crowded in the morning. I like this place much more than the famous bamboo forest. At least you can see cherry blossoms if you visit at the appropriate season.

by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread