Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Entertainer Visa Sponsors? 2023/7/17 20:42
I am currently trying to get a Visa to move to Japan in early 2025 so I can audition for an opportunity to become a sort of stuntman. I understand the requirements to get an entertainer visa, however the one part I am hung up on is the sponsor.
For the most part, it seems that it's impossible to get an entertainment-related sponsor (talent agency, etc.) if you are not already living in Japan; but in that case, how are you supposed to work in Japan if you are living there without a visa?
The company I ideally will work for has an audition in the beginning of the year, callbacks in March, and then a 1-year training program, so I cannot immediately get a sponsor from them either.
Well anyway, I am wondering how I can get a sponsor for an entertainer visa before moving to Japan so I don't end up working illegally.
Thank you!
by Aur (guest)  

Re: Entertainer Visa Sponsors? 2023/7/18 09:44
So are you trying to be gliving in Japanh already when you go to the audition (in Japan, I assume)? Usually the gsponsorh for the visa is the one who hires you to perform (in theater, musicals, etc.) Isnft the company you are looking at not doing auditions in your country? When they give you that one-year training, are they going to be paying you?

If the company is saying they are looking for people already living in Japan, they might be thinking of people who are here on some other resident status, such as permanent residents (after many years of working in another field), students, or entertainer but currently hired by another company.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Entertainer Visa Sponsors? 2023/7/18 11:35
Sounds like the do wanna deal with the visa processes. So they are looking for those already on visas.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Entertainer Visa Sponsors? 2023/7/18 21:28
Maybe it will help to know which company I want to join? It is called Japanese Action Enterprise. If you can speak Japanese, this is their website:

https://japanactionenterprise.com/

The company does not hold auditions anywhere but Tokyo. However when I asked them about whether or not a foreigner could audition and pass, they said that anyone can pass regardless of citizenship status and that even if I was not currently living in Japan there was a possibility of being accepted. So long as I can communicate in Japanese (I am nearly fluent) and have adequate talent, I can make it into the training program. As well, I want to move to Japan prior to the audition (late 2024, initial audition is in January).

They did not mention if the training is paid or not, but said that because it is not a specialty school they would not be able to help with a visa so I interpreted that as unpaid.

A response said that there could be auditions for others jobs in my country, so in that case should I be looking for auditions in my area?

In any case, considering this information, how should I get a sponsor for an entertainer visa? Would it be safe to go to Japan as a visitor and receive a visa after auditioning for another agency there? Should I take the risk and audition for JAE without a visa, hoping that should I pass they will sponsor me? What's the best way to go about this?

Thank you!
by Aur (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Entertainer Visa Sponsors? 2023/7/19 00:04
Your dream of becoming a stuntman in Japan sounds cool! It's impressive that you have already made contact with the company, and I applaud you for your thorough preparation including your language skill. We don't know where you are from, but you are a skilled stuntman in your country, aren't you?

I think participating in auditions without a long-term visa itself may not be such a problem. (I'm not an expert in Japanese law, so someone please correct me if my opinion is legally wrong!) For example, Charlotte Kate Fox, an American actress who won an audition for an NHK TV drama series on her first visit to Japan. She found information of the audition through a casting call in the US and flew to Japan to participate in it.
However, challenges and difficulties may arise afterward because you won't be able to stay in Japan for an extended period. Even in Charlotte's case, she had to return to the US once before officially moving to Japan. Since the company has explicitly declared that they are unable to sponsor your visa, you will need another sponsor. Your alternative plan could be searching for another agency to act as your visa sponsor, but we can't guarantee the existence of such a permissive agency that would allow you to participate in auditions held by different companies.
It might be challenging to find a solution. As others have already commented, the company may only accept people who already have a valid visa, and they might have hesitated to outright say you "no" when you made contact by some reason like they didn't want to discourage you. (Please take this as just my personal speculation.)
However, it looks difficult, but it's worth exploring possible solutions. I wish you good luck in your pursuit.
by Stip (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Entertainer Visa Sponsors? 2023/7/19 09:11
So long as I can . . . . . I can make it into the training program.
Look at a student visa? But, that will not help.
Company made it clear, they will not sponsor you. So even if you were accepted for work, you don't have a company that will assist.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Entertainer Visa Sponsors? 2023/7/19 10:03
even when you pass the company's audition, it just means they will put your name on their list. it does not mean they will pay some guarantee for you.
because you have no income promised, you can't get the entertainer visa.

you can get that visa, only when you have a contract with the money payer and you can stay in Japan only in the term when they pay money to you. the term and money should be written in the contract.

therefore, the company can't provide the visa support because of no guarantee for your job.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread