Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Mid-December with young kids 2023/7/31 01:51
Hi all, I'm planning a trip mid-end dec with my 3 kids (3, 8, 12) and with it being winter, I am not sure where would be the best to bring them. Some details that may help you help us:

- Kids' first trip to Japan. Husband and I have done pretty much all the top tourist stops in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka.
- We would like to focus on culture, nature and food this time.
- Kids love performances and scenic rides of all sorts.
- We are flying in from Tokyo or Osaka. We are open to travelling out and basing ourselves outside of Tokyo/ Osaka.

What I've researched on:
- My personal interest is to visit Shirakawa-go but I'm apprehensive about the long journey time and many transfers that are needed just to get there. With the cold weather and 3 young kids, is that a bad idea?
- Many of you listed Nara and Nikko as your favourite places in Japan. Are these places ideal for a visit in winter with kids?
by starsmayfall (guest)  

Re: Mid-December with young kids 2023/7/31 11:40
Shirakawa is a long way to go for something that is kind of marginally interesting - maybe a 3 hour thing. Also it can get very icy which makes it hard to get around, though it is super pretty in the snow. Having had 2 kids there when it was - 17 celsius, and having to take boots off and slip around among the slush and dirt, I would say it is more trouble than it is worth, but now that I have lowered your expectations, it might be fantastic.

Nara is good any time of year, we have been in December a few times, it is very nice. I would stay at Nara Hotel (old section) if you want a treat, if only for a night. It is like stepping back in time. We were at Nara in Feb this year for 4 nights (2 at a ryokan at wakusayama (sp?) and have just booked to go back in November for another 4.

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mid-December with young kids 2023/7/31 11:48
Hi!

I would not take a 5 or an 8 year old to Shirakawa Go. I might not even take a 12 year old. If I am upfront, it's scenic, but I felt like it was a tourist trap and it is not on the list of places I even want to go back to. The Gassho-zukuri are scenic but most of them contain shops (all selling the same things), restaurants (all serving the same food) or places to stay.

Lots of kids love seeing the deer in Nara. I know mine did. I went to Akame 48 Falls to do ninja training because my daughter wanted to.

I could probably get mine to do the Yamanobe no michi in the Winter. We started it in the Summer and then she got too hot. This Summer I didn't even attempt it because it was even hotter than in 2019.

i keep meaning to take my daughter to Nikko, but I have not yet. There is Edomura just outside of Nikko in Kinugawa onsen. It looks like something your younger kids would love.

Just be careful of cold and snow.

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Mid-December with young kids 2023/7/31 13:02
Go a different time of year. Winter and kids don't mix real well. You seem to wanna leave the normal known city-tourist locations. And they are best in winter as summer option ain't available.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mid-December with young kids 2023/7/31 15:35
I also second Nara - which has a bit of everything in the area. It has the temple/shrine area, but it also has some nice traditional areas which are fun to walk around and discover. Best of all - the town is also very walkable/bikeable as well.

Something that might be a good idea is using Nagano as a base and there are a couple of day trips that may be of interest

(A) Matsumoto (I don't like this town much but others do, but damn that castle is pretty. It was also my 12 year old nephews highlight of the trip.
(B) Yamanouchi Snow Monkeys (not sure if there will be snow this time of year - other will know).
(C) Togakushi Shine + the Nanpo (Ninja) Museum. The Nanpo museum was surprisingly fun.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Mid-December with young kids 2023/7/31 15:43
I think December can be a great month to travel. On the Pacific coast in Japan the weather generally is fine (sunny/dry) and not that cold. Generally well above 0 degree.

If Shirakawago is your fix, maybe look into Miyama in Kyoto prefecture. Not that easy to reach either but they also have those thatched roof houses.

I donft have kids, but would probably do it easy. One max 2 hotels and take it from there. Eg Nara and Tokyo. Or even only Kyoto for the entire duration.

Railway museums is also a big thing in Japan which sounds fun for kids. The snow monkeys obviously also are fun, but unless you plan some more time in Nagano Prefecture again quite a long trip to get there. And for snow it might be too early. (There is a life webcam operated by the onsen, so you can check the status )
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Mid-December with young kids 2023/8/1 06:14
I only have 1 child. She is currently 12. I've taken her to Japan on vacation 7 times (we don't have family, but we do have friends) She went at ages 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 2x at 12.

We had a blast going in December and if we can swing it we would go back in a second. You do have to look out for New Years closing (and if you want to go to a specific shop or niche location, the closing time can be quite long, I'm looking at you Licca Castle) It is cold, but I think being prepared for the cold is easier than being prepared for the heat because it is easier to bundle up, just be aware it can be cold. Japan felt really cold to us in December 2022, but we were also coming from Hawaii which even when it is "cold" is 70+

If you celebrate Christmas, be prepared for it to be celebrated in a very secular way (aka nothing closes on Christmas, so many people on reddit ask about what is closed for Christmas and it's like nothing, except if Christmas falls on a Monday and then things are closed because it is a Monday.) We love it, because we don't celebrate Christmas.

If you want to see thatched roof houses and you can work it in, Takayama 's Hida no Sato is your best bet because they actually offer craft activities and other participatory activities making it more fun for kids. I thought Hida no Sato was more interesting than Shirakawa Go as well, despite going to Shirakawa Go in February and Hida no Sato in June.

I know Shiga Kogen which is above the monkey park opens for skiing in early December most years. If you're interested in skiing or snow play, it's a fun destination.

The ninja museum and ninja village are closed in December, so I am not sure Togakushi would work, unless your kids want to hike in possible snow to see a shrine. I personally think Shiga Kogen is a better bet, since kids are more likely to enjoy snow play. We didn't ski, though it was very popular we mostly did sledding, which was a lot of fun. Since you are two adults, you could split up.

My daughter didn't like Matsumoto Castle, but did enjoy the small city art museum. It's small and not terribly crowded.

We enjoyed Nabana no Sato, 1 hour from Nagoya, a lot in December. I wanted to go to Nagashima Spa Land as well, but it didn't work out. We did strawberry picking, which my daughter really enjoyed.

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Mid-December with young kids 2023/8/2 10:50
Thank you all for sharing your experiences! These places are new to me and I'll be looking them up:

Togakushi Shine + the Nanpo (Ninja) Museum
Nabana no Sato
Nagashima Spa Land 
Yamanobe no michi

What I've decided so far after reading your responses is to abandon the idea of Shirawakawa-go with kids. I'm also limiting ourselves to one shrine visit and one onsen experience.

Re: Lazy Pious & rkold, I've been to the deer park in Nara and I know my kids will love it too. However, what else is there to do in Nara in December?

Re: LikeBike, I researched a bit on Miyama and it looks something right up our alley. I'm keeping it at the top of my list. If we do go there, my husband will be driving and hopefully we can also visit Ine Funaya and Amanohashidate. Thank you!
by starsmayfall (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mid-December with young kids 2023/8/2 22:22
You've had plenty of great tips.

My one is...make sure you get all the kids in slip-on/velcro/easy-take-off shoes, otherwise you will waste hours helping/waiting for them to take them on and off several times a day. This can seriously sap your will to carry on, however much you love them.

Have a good trip.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread