Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Peas that are served as a snack? 2005/7/3 07:27
I think the peas are soaked in water and they are served at sushi bars in the us, while we wait for our sushi to be prepared. They are cold and a yummy snack. The peas are still in their pods. How do you make them and what are they called?
by Kellie  

... 2005/7/3 08:50
You must mean Edamame. They are boiled soya beans. A highly popular snack in Japanese restaurants inside and - recently - outside of Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Edamame 2005/7/3 09:15
I love edamame. Were I get them they are steammed then salted on the outside.
by Patrick rate this post as useful

Edamame 2005/7/3 10:15
Boil the soybeans in salted water for a few minutes. Drain. Can be served warm or chilled.

Edamame in pods can be found frozen in many markets. Some regions sell fresh soybeans (in season).

Shelled soybeans (without pods) can also be found in the freezer case but I think it's more fun to eat with the pods.

Eat them instead of potato chips for a healthy snack.
by nanshi rate this post as useful

Edamame - since when? 2005/9/17 09:09
Just curious, does anyone know how long edamame have been used as a snack in this way in Japan? I never happened across them in Japan but about 10 yrs later (30 yrs ago?) someone in US grew "edible soybeans" as a garden vegetable (served warm at table) and I thought they were WONDERFUL (still do).
by watagei rate this post as useful

they are edamames 2006/1/8 09:09
They are called edamames and they are steamed and salted on the outside. They are very good dipped in soy sauce. You are supposed to suck the soybeans out of the pods. They are served in all Japanese restaurants in my area while you wait for the food to come, its like going to an Italian restaurant and they put bread on the table, in the Japanese restaurants they out edamame.
by danielle rate this post as useful

edamame 2006/1/8 13:43
My favorite sushi plce in the USA where I live (Northern Virginia, just outside of D.C.) has been serving warm, salted edamame for several years in a dish while I am waiting for my sushi to be made. Yum. Much better than salted peanuts or any other bar appetizer.
by Eileen rate this post as useful

Fresh is Best 2006/1/10 12:09
Fresh edamame (when in season) are SO much better than frozen edamame
by Dunit rate this post as useful

Beware the first time eater 2007/9/11 23:28
Agree - they are totally delicious. The first time I was offered one, I assumed you ate the whole thing. Cue very embarassed Japanese host, neighbouring tables, waiting staff and me as a large stringy mass filled my mouth. I can promise you that no amount of chewing will shift the problem! So now I now to place the pod in my mouth, clench it lightly between my teeth and squeeze the beans out of their pod. The mixture of sea salt on the pod and the bean itself is a delicious combination and very healthy too.
by Ian D rate this post as useful

Snack peas 2008/7/29 12:59
Kasugai wasabi green peas I like the most as snack when I with TV.
by steven choo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread