Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

One Month Japan Itinerary 2023/8/13 22:16
This is the 2nd shot at a one month Japan itinerary. This is a first visit and we decided to limit the travel somewhat while still seeing a fair amount. Any feedback on the sequence/timing would be much appreciated. Also if we have left out an essential site - let me know. Thanks to all!

JAPAN Trip – September 18-October 19

18-24 Tokyo

24-28 Matsumoto
Day Trips - Walk Magome to Tsumag
- Kamikochi/Hiking
- Cycle - visit Wasabi Farm

29-2 Takayama
Day Trips - Shirakawago
- Shinhotaka Ropeway
- Hirayu Onsen

2-7 Kyoto
- Himeji Castle
- Maibara - Cycling
- Nara

7-11 Hiroshima
- Miyajima Island
- Himeji Castle
- Sandankyo Gorge

11-13 Osaka

13-16 Hakone
- Onsen/Spa

16-19 Tokyo
by smartcar  

Re: One Month Japan Itinerary 2023/8/15 10:18
I see no real issues with the itinerary. Slower pace but I see a lot of physical activity aka cycling. So a good thing.

Looks like 10 total days on Tokyo. Need that much?
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One Month Japan Itinerary 2023/8/15 10:40
Agree with pp, looks good but a lot of Tokyo time. I would also mention September can be very hot in the lower parts of Japan, even Matsumoto gets pretty toasty despite the elevation.

Personally, I would cut your initial Tokyo stay back a few nights and spend some time at Karuizawa, about an hour out of Tokyo by shinkansen (a stop or two before Nagano). Karuizawa is a nice trendy mountain town, and generally cooler than Tokyo. It would also be not a bad way to connect to Matsumoto - shinkansen on to Nagano and then train to Matsumoto, quite a pretty trip.

When at Karuizawa we stay at Le Grand Kyu which is very nice and fantastic value. Also Tsuruya Ryokan is there, super pretty and caters really well to foreigners - I reckon perfect for the first time in a ryokan.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One Month Japan Itinerary 2023/8/15 11:20
Generally looks good. Just you are going twice to Himeiji 🤓

Obviously I would do a different trip with a month, but as said there is no real issue with your trip.

I see you plan to cycle in Maibara (great choice) and Matsumoto (I donft know about that region). Words of warning:
- depends on what you are used to riding at home. But if itfs a gproperh bike youfll find that a lot of the Japanese rental bikes are very heavy, some come without gears. And their seat is ridiculously low. Itfs all fine if you just want to ride around in a town for some sightseeing. Letfs say 20-30 km max. But if you want to greally rideh look out and pay for a good bicycle. They can be complicated to find though as for most Japanese the slow, heavy things is what they think about when hearing gbicycle g.

However you are in luck at Maibara. There is a great road bike rental right in the station (maybe they also have flat bar bikes, not sure). I rented once there and the original bike they had reserved for me was ridiculously small (they said that they only need your height) but luckily it was a WE in early December, so not many more people were out there renting bikes. So they changed it to a super stylish carbon Merida Scultura. 😍 so maybe instead of hight let them know your normal frame size.

You can essentially head two ways from Maibara : towards Hikone (and visit the castle) or towards Nagahama and Yogoko. I like both areas, although from a landscape perspective the nicest part for me around Lake Biwa is between Kinomoto and Makino train stations. Really nice shoreline. And some nice traditional villages. (Want to go back there soooooon).

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2023/05/gw2023-d4-biwaichi-near...

Anyway, here a collection of rides in Shiga and around Biwako:

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/search/label/Shiga?m=1

Another word of warning. You cannot transport a bicycle in the train in Japan UNLESS it is in a bag.

Around Matsumoto I havenft cycled yet, but Norikura skyline is famous as the highest road in Japan and well loved by cyclists.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/7gx58th2zRPNJWGW8?g_st=ic
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: One Month Japan Itinerary 2023/8/15 13:37
Since you're in Hiroshima, visiting Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Museum is highly recommended due to its historical significance.

Also, consider adding Kanazawa if you're interested in more traditional Japanese culture and art.
by SarahinJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One Month Japan Itinerary 2023/8/15 14:44
I'd shave a day or two off Tokyo, maybe unless you're planning some day trips like Kamakura/Enoshima, Nikko and/or Kawagoe.

Agree the Peace Park in Hiroshima is well worth a visit.

If you're around Biwako, and are looking for a day of walking and good views, consider a day trip to have a look at Enryakuji https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3911.html

Enjoy your time in Japan!
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One Month Japan Itinerary 2023/8/15 15:52
I'd reduce a little bit the Tokyo time and visit Kanazawa , it's a fantastic place and a shame to miss when in Takayama.
by Denis C rate this post as useful

Re: One Month Japan Itinerary 2023/8/17 00:51
Thanks for the great feedback. We are refining our itinerary based on input!
by smartcar rate this post as useful

reply to this thread