Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

JR Hokkaido rail pass vs area passes 2023/8/16 00:20
If I buy the JR Hokkaido rail pass, I am assuming I do not need to buy any area passes (Sapporo-Noboribetsu, Sapporo-Furano, etc.) cuz the Hokkaido pass will cover everything that the area passes also cover?
I hope that makes sense.

Basically I wanna make sure I am buying the right JR passes.
I will be in Hokkaido for 7 days so will be going around the island a lot.

I will first go to Tomamu (day trip from Chitose)
The next three days will be spent around Hakodate, Toya, Noboribetsu, Niseko area
The next two days in Asahikawa, Biei, and Furano
And finally back to Sapporo and Otaru before going back to Chitose

I will be making lots of stops in between such as my hotel in Higashi Muroran area, Usu (there is a temple I'd like to visit), and probably quick stops in Takikawa or Kamikawa.

With this rough plan, is it possible to just buy the JR Hokkaido rail pass?

Will the JR Hokkaido rail pass also cover quick trips (e.g. from Noboribetsu to Higashi Muroran, in the Hokuto line) or do they just cover long trips from the main stations (Noboribetsu to Hakodate, Sapporo to Otaru, etc.)?

Also can anyone confirm if I can use the JR Hokkaido rail pass from Sapporo to Asahikawa? The website says that a bus from Sapporo to Asahikawa is not covered, but what if I use a JR train instead from Sapporo to Asahikawa? From Google Maps I am assuming there is a train with that route?

Tbh I am just so confused about how the Hokkaido rail system works. I am trying to calculate whether buying a JR Hokkaido pass is worth it or not and also to calculate the additional fees I need to prepare for the rides not covered in the JR pass. I will really appreciate it if anyone can also help me with this. Is there maybe a website where I can search for a particular bus/train stop and see if the JR pass covers it or if another card is required? Maybe there is a simpler way to find out if a route is covered by the JR pass or not?

Thank you so much for reading and would appreciate any form of help.
by Eli (guest)  

Re: JR Hokkaido rail pass vs area passes 2023/8/16 18:54
I strongly suggest you to buy JR hokkaido pass 7 day =25000 yen
by MR Modi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Hokkaido rail pass vs area passes 2023/8/24 10:58
I agree you should buy the Hokkaido Rail Pass.

I was in Hokkaido for a 7 day trip from 8/15 to 8/21. I arrived in Sapporo on 8/14 night and my return flight was 8/22 early morning. I can confirm the Rail Pass works on JR stations to Otaru, Noboribetsu, Toya and Hakodate. But it will not work on local buses that take you from JR stations to the tourist attractions.

Not sure about Asahikawa, Furano or Biei. I just joined a day trip bus tour for those areas. I had roughly 1.5 days for each area and stayed overnight at Noboribetsu, Toya and Hakodate before returning to Sapporo. I also suggest at least a couple more days so you don't have to rush.

The JR Hokkaido website has the train schedules. Do note the trains don't run 24 hours.
https://www.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/english/train/
by James Y (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread