Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Itinerary Kansai to Kyushu 2023/8/18 20:15
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of planning a trip to Japan and would love to get some feedback on my itinerary. I've been to Japan before, but this time I'll be traveling with my mother, who's never been to the country. (The first time I did a high-paced month long trip visiting Tokyo, Kanazawa, Takayama, Kamikochi, Matsumoto, Tsumago, Kyoto, Nara, Koyasan, Osaka, Shirahama, Noashima, Hiroshima, Miyajima and Fukuoka). Our trip will last around 3 to 4 weeks, with a medium-paced travel style, and we're looking to explore both familiar places and new destinations. I think that Kyushu might be an interesting new region to explore (because I especially love nature, hiking and spa's). The tentative timing for the trip is around April/May. Here's what I have in mind:

Kyoto (5 nights)
- Including a day trip to Nara

Naoshima (2 nights)
- Planning to visit Himeji en route to Naoshima
- Exploring museums

Hiroshima and Miyajima (2 nights)
- Exploring Hiroshima, oa the Atomic Bomb Memorial Museum and Peace Park
- Staying in a Ryokan on Miyajima Island

Nagasaki (3 nights)
- Exploring Nagasaki, considering visits to Gunkanjima or Huis ten Bosch (as we are Dutch)

Kagoshima (2 nights)
- Visiting Sakurajima

Yakushima (3 nights)
- Do some hiking

Kirishima (2 nights)
- Exploring Kirishima Kinkowan National Park
- Enjoying the Kirishima Onsen

Kurokawa (3 nights)
- Unwinding in Kurokawa Onsen
- Side trip to Takachiho Gorge
- Exploring Mount Aso

Beppu (2 nights)
- Traveling via Yufuin
- Exploring the Hells' Hot Springs
- Enjoying Onsen baths

Fukuoka (1 night)
- A brief stop to break up our journey before heading to the islands

Miyakojima or Ishigaki (4 nights)
- Considering Miyakojima or Ishigaki for our beach destination, as we're both beach enthusiast. I wanted to visit Ishigaki during my first trip, but unfortunately due to a hurricane this was cancelled.

I'm seeking advice on whether this itinerary is feasible and balanced. I'm also unsure about the mode of transportation. My initial plan is to use public transportation for the first leg up to Nagasaki and then switch to a rental car for exploring the Kyushu region. Any insights you can provide on the itinerary, pacing, whether these destinations are worth visiting, and the transportation plan would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!
by NA Schr  

Re: Itinerary Kansai to Kyushu 2023/8/19 14:56
It doesn't look too bad at all. Five nights for Kyoto is pretty good - you could also go see Osaka in the evening (Dotonbori, Abeno Harukas Bldg, Shinsekai, Umeda Sky Bldg). Just make sure you add enough variety for Kyoto, since an endless series of temples and shrines will just make your eyes glaze over at some point. There are enough places to add to keep things fresh, like Nishiki Market, the Heian Shrine Garden, Murin-An, Shoseien, the railways museum, Iwatayama Monkey Park, Sagano bamboo grove, etc.
https://goo.gl/knQtMg

For Hiroshima, if staying 2 nights you could add more. Take a day for the city, and a day for Miyajima. For the rest, you could see Iwakuni, or go see the nice Sandankyo Gorge if you like nature (75 min bus ride from Hiroshima Stn). For the city though, there is much more than just the Peace Park, and sadly many people cheat themselves by just leaving the city after seeing just there. The Shukkeien Garden is very nice, but there also is the secret jewel - the Mitakidera Temple which almost nobody ever finds. Plus try some Hiroshima style okonomiyaki at Okonomi-mura. Hiroshima Castle is OK but if you're seeing Himeji Castle you can skip it.
https://goo.gl/fAz4ax

Nagasaki is a very interesting and lovely place to visit. Huis Ten Bosch may surprise you - it looks a lot like Holland (though I've heard some Dutch say it's much cleaner). Three nights is a good chunk of time though, so you could maybe include Sasebo, or see Unzen (the latter really almost requires a car though). Seeing Gunkanjima takes a lot of time (with just an hour on the island), and if the weather is bad, the boat is cancelled, so have a back-up plan just in case.
There is no rail access to Kurokawa or Takachiho, so renting a car is a good idea, not to mention to get to a lot of good places around Aso (Nabegataki Falls, Daikanbo Lookout, Yamabuki springhead, Kuju Flower Park, Kamishikimi Kumanoimasu Shrine, etc). Three nights at Kurokawa may be overkill though. Are you switching inns? Otherwise there is little you'll get that's new from the 2nd night.
For Kagoshima, Sakurajima can eat up a full day, but don't skip the really nice Sengan-en Garden as well as Amami no Sato. Simply breathtaking. Try the shochu liquor there too.
For Yakushima, logistics can be tricky, so do a lot of research. A full hike can take over 8 hours for some places. Renting a car can be a lot easier also. If you're going to Beppu, the Hells Tour only takes a few hours. You could also go to Oita City close by and visit the Takasakiyama Monkey Park, which is one of the better ones in Japan. You can also take the ropeway up to Mt Tsurumi.
Fukuoka is more famous for its food like ramen and mentaiko (spiced cod roe), but there is much more. Just outside the city is the Nanzoin Temple, which is excellent. Inside the city is also Tochoji with the nation's biggest wooden carved Buddha, plus the views from the Fukuoka Tower are nice, as well as the new TeamLab Forest exhibit by the Paypay Dome.
If you see Ishigaki, be sure to go visit the limestone cave there - it's like suddenly walking into another planet.
https://goo.gl/Q843Bg
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Kansai to Kyushu 2023/8/21 04:03
I see no real issues.

And yes a rental car is well advised for inland Kyushu.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Kansai to Kyushu 2023/8/21 18:28
Thank you so much for your detailed suggestions!!! Really useful and I will definitely add your recommendations to our itinerary.
by NA Schr rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Kansai to Kyushu 2023/8/22 02:54
I visited the north inland Kyushu and Fukuoka in March 2023. I spent two nights in Fukuoka (way too short a stay--I love this city), three nights at different onsen ryokans (Kikuchi gorge, near Kurokawa, and Yufuin), and one night in Takachiho (before Yufuin).

I rented a car from Toyota and the trip was amazing. I really wish I stayed in Kyushu for a longer period of time. I checked out my rental car after leaving Fukuoka and returned it at Oita Airport, where I flew to Tokyo from.

I concur that Kurokawa only requires one night. I suggest you don't choose one right in the center of Kurokawa town, because driving/parking will be very challenging. I chose to stay in Shirakawa which is about 7-10 min bny car away at a brand new, couples-only onsen ryokan. All the ryokans were heavenly good. In Takachiho, I stayed at a hotel near the Takachiho Shrine (Solest Takachiho Hotel) and it was great with free parking.

Bear in mind that Japan's national holiday week (Golden Week) usually falls in early May and it will be crowded/expensive.
by doggieluver rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Kansai to Kyushu 2023/8/26 00:50
Ah, thank you all so much. These threads are incredibly useful! 😊 I also really loved Fukuoka during our first trip. It was a big surprise to us because we were 'only' a few nights in this city because our flight home was from there, but we actually had a surprisingly great time!

I have a few follow-up questions, if you don't mind:
* I wasn't aware of Golden Week, so thank you for reminding me! We're quite flexible with our trip. Do you recommend visiting this region in April (before Golden Week) or in May (after Golden Week)?
* Also, depending on the above, are Ishigaki and Miyakojima worth visiting in April or May? Which island would you recommend if we want to spend some time unwinding at the beach?
* I am doubting a bit about Yakushima. I think it would be incredibly beautiful, but I'm uncertain due to my mom's limited hiking experience. Is it still worthwhile for us (as I understand from the comment, it is not easy to visit the island?), even if we opt for shorter, less intensive hikes? Also, can we bring our rental car from inland Kyushu on the ferry to explore Yakushima? I'm a bit puzzled with the car rental logistics, and I am now thinking about picking it up in Nagasaki and dropping it off in Fukuoka. Any insights on what's feasible, efficient, and affordable would be appreciated.
* Following up on your suggestions, I'm thinking of staying one night in Kurokawa to visit Mount Aso and Kurokawa Onsen, perhaps one night at Takachiho Gorge (thanks for the hotel tip!), and adding another night in Fukuoka (so 2 nights there). Would this enhance the suggested itinerary?

Planning trips like this can be quite a puzzle, but reading all these comments makes me really excited to go back! 😃
by NA Schr rate this post as useful

reply to this thread