Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/21 02:31
Hi. I'll be traveling to Japan in May 2024. Will be staying in Tokyo for at least a few days, and I'd love to stay in a neighborhood that I can largely just stay in, but still be able to access some nice walks, parks, great food, and a few sights. I don't like crowds or busy trains. I have nothing in particular I feel I must see. Can anyone recommend a lovely, quieter neighborhood that would be ideal for a visitor like myself? Thank you for any advice!
by MadonnaEv  

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/21 12:45
I am now planning a trip to UK. Of course I will fly into London so I searched for quiet and nice neighborhood. The answer is quite simple: Cotswolds that is. Most if not all Japanese would like it.

If you are looking for a place like Cotswolds near Tokyo, I think there is no. There are many kind of "nice places" but it is nice for various reasons. Someone like fishery village while others like historic town. If you take Shinkansen you can go quite far while there is quiet places even in 10 km distance.

So please speciry your preferences.
Seaside? Mountain? Historical place? Allow Shinkansen ride or just a commuter train? Day trip or stay there? Budget?
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/21 12:51
I quite liked Shiba Park, though it was a long time ago that we stayed there. Also if you dont mind spending a bit of money, Chinzanso Hotel has some fantastic gardens and is a nice place to unwind for a few days
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/21 13:23
I very much like the area between Tokyo Tower and the river, which is I think the area Lazy Pious mentioned.

There are beautiful gardens nearby, plenty to eat, and it was (when I last stayed there in 2018) more residential than touristy. I was in the vicinity earlier this year and it was quiet then on what was a pretty busy day in other parts of Tokyo.

Daimon/Hamamatsucho stations take you to a number of places.

A place I haven't stayed, but which has a very peaceful aura, is Koishikawa. We've been several times to go to Koishikawa Korakuen during cherry blossom season, and even when it's busy it's not Tokyo busy. There's food around, though I don't remember anything particularly notable. Have a look at the 'getting there and around' section of this page, to see if it might suit. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3034_003.html

by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/21 13:36
Thank you for the recommendation! Yes, to clarify, I am simply wondering what neighborhoods other people enjoy that may be less touristy and quieter than most in Tokyo. I do get overwhelmed by a lot of noise and crowds, so would love advice for appropriate neighborhoods.
by MadonnaEv rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/21 13:38
Will you be staying only in Tokyo when you travel to Japan?
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/21 15:39
If you're looking for a quieter neighborhood in Tokyo away from the bustling crowds and noise, there are several options that offer a more peaceful and relaxed atmosphere. Keep in mind that Tokyo is a sprawling city, so even in quieter neighborhoods, you might still experience some level of urban activity. Here are a few neighborhoods you might consider:

Yanaka: Yanaka is known for its historic charm, traditional atmosphere, and narrow streets. It's a residential area with small shops, cafes, and temples. The pace of life here is generally slower, and you can enjoy a stroll through the old streets, visit small art galleries, and relax in local cafes.

Nakameguro: Nakameguro is famous for its tree-lined Meguro River and offers a more relaxed and stylish vibe compared to some busier parts of Tokyo. The area is known for its cafes, boutiques, and art galleries, making it a great place for a leisurely afternoon walk.

Sangenjaya: This neighborhood has a local, residential feel and is often referred to as "Sancha" by locals. It's a bit removed from the busiest areas of Tokyo, yet still offers a variety of restaurants, cafes, and shops. The atmosphere here is laid-back and cozy. https://3d4dbabyultrasoundscan.co.uk/cities/baby-scan-ellesmere-port

Jiyugaoka: Jiyugaoka is a charming neighborhood with a European flair. It has a quieter atmosphere and is known for its upscale boutiques, bakeries, and cafes. The streets are lined with trees, making it a pleasant area for a peaceful stroll.
by Mumtaz123 rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/21 16:08
I love the areas listed by Mumtaz! The downside is that since they are mostly residential areas, there are very few hotels to chose from.

But if you don't want to see anything in particular in Tokyo, maybe just don't stay there, except the night before your flight?
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/21 17:03
That's a fantastic idea. For somewhere that is really pretty, lots of good food and things to do, I can't go past Karuizawa which is 1 hour from Tokyo station by Shinkansen. We usually stay at Le Grand Kyu - under $400 per night for a huge modern room with a great breakfast.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/22 00:55
I notice you want to avoid crowded trains, and probably also crowded train stations.

There just are too many quiet neighborhoods in Tokyo, but your nearest train station is likely to be busy unless you choose a neighborhood close to a station where only the slowest trains stop.

For example, Nakameguro can be cozy, but Nakameguro Station is always busy, being it a hub. Instead, stations like Daikanyama and Yutenji, which are the stations next to Nakameguro, are much less crowded during the day, because a lot of trains don't stop there. Similarly, Toritsudaigaku is less crowded than Jiyuugaoka, and you can still try to walk from their to Jiyuugaoka area.

As a person who grew up in Tokyo and still lives in its suburbs, the Inokashira and Keikyu train lines are among my favorite when it comes to slower neighborhoods. Why not study these lines, choose a station where faster trains don't stop, and take a look at Google Street View to see which area suits you best.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/22 01:00
Thank you all for the great recommendations! This is just what I was looking for. My partner and I will be in Japan for three weeks, but the first 4 or so days in Tokyo. He will be meeting some old friends, but in no particular location yet. So I will just choose a place to stay and then he can go do his thing as he needs. I've considered a solo overnight trip somewhere within a couple of hours of the city too, so I may do that for part of the time. I'll look into Karuizawa! I don't mind big cities, but I know that I get anxious in crowds or on busy trains, so I just have to modify my plans a little. I prefer staying and exploring one area and finding hidden treasures, rather than spending a lot of time on trains trying to see many famous sights. I'm looking forward to it! After Tokyo, we will go to Kyoto, Kinosaki Onsen, and hiking on the Kumano Kodo.

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/22 01:05
@Uco Thank you for the recommendation about train lines. That's a great idea! I do enjoy trains actually, but the videos I've seen of people literally packed into Tokyo trains at busy times--that's a nightmare for me!

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/22 01:22
I kind of donft get it why you want to stay in Tokyo at all.

1) if there is some specific place you want to visit while in Tokyo let us know and people may be able to suggest an area close by that is quiet. Tokyo actually is a very quiet town. Just a few street blocks away from the craziness tranquil life starts. I personally live in Shimokitazawa an area known for its student life, but yet all I hear from my apartment is birds and cicadas. A friend lives maybe 500 m from Roppongi crossing , yet his street is totally quiet. And those arenft some special examples. This is quite normal in Tokyo.

2) any kind of transport in Tokyo will involve a train and depending on time of day it might be crowded. Not crazy crowded just crowded enough not to have a seat at all times. However that thing of people being pushed into trains. Yes, it does exist, but only on certain lines at very specific times of the day and has reduced a lot in recent years. I lived 7 years ago in Higashiktazawa and at some times in the morning there were pushers to get us all in the train. Now they doubled the tracks and I havenft seen any pusher in the last 1,5 years I am back here.

3) all major stations will feel crowded. Per this article (https://japantoday.com/category/features/travel/the-51-busiest-train-s... from 2013 but since then number of travelers in Japan will likely have gone up) out if the 50 most busy train stations in the world only 5 ( !) are not in Japan. But there is system to the crowdedness. People follow the flow. There is no running around , bumping in people or any kind of aggressiveness.

4) Tokyo is a relatively walkable city. Obviously there is distance. But if the things you want to see are reasonably close walking is totally an option. Go for the smaller winding neighbourhood streets instead of the big thoroughfares. Cycling is also a very viable option and there are rentable e-bikes available in many parts of Tokyo.

5) but if there is nothing you actually want to do in Tokyo consider staying somewhere else: Kamakura, Nikko, Kawagoe, Hakonec
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/22 01:35
There are quieter neighborhoods in Tokyo. You have been given some good suggestions. I want to add: Hiroo and Shiroganedai. These are walkable neighborhoods for the rich. However, nice cafes and restaurants exist. Also, Aoyama is nice, but with a bit more shoppers, particularly over the weekend.

Pushers on the train platforms--I did not see them during my 11-day stay in Shibuya. I think they exist during commute hours on certain routes only. Most of the time, the trains were not crowded or moderately crowded. Locals were very respectful and polite, and so there is not too much to worry about.
by doggieluver rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/22 08:14
For the OP, are you after a quiet place in central Tokyo (23 ward area) or greater Tokyo. I know from (say) Shinjuku that there are areas that are deathly quiet, but the availability of hotels/accommodation will be clustered towards transport hubs (not always, but often). Some of the smaller stations on the Yamanote line (as an example) are relatively quiet, yet still provide easy access around the city. I have stayed in many quiet spots around Tokyo in the past (the Daiichi in/near Ryogoku springs to mind), but it does also depend on what else you are doing in the city.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/22 08:42
but the videos I've seen of people literally packed into Tokyo trains at busy times--that's a nightmare for me!

The videos are there because they're unique moments, and the less crowded moments aren't on video because they're more likely to feature people's faces which are personal information.

I'm a freelancer in Greater Tokyo who, for 3 decades, has enjoyed the choice to not ride commuter trains, and when I do, they're almost always less crowded. I've also chose to live near a station with less train stops. By avoiding business and school rush hours and choosing slower trains, you can easily avoid crowd.

For example, even if I ride a Tokyo Metro train from Shibuya around 2pm, I easily get to sit, and if it's another train line running through the suburbs, there will only be about 10 people per train car until school finishes at 3pm-ish. The train stations with only one train line and no express train stopping are very quiet with less announcements.

I'd get on the slowest type of trains, and when the train gets to a bigger station where everybody changes to a faster train, I stay on with the people who aren't in a hurry, and I get the luxury of enjoying scenery from my seat. (So, yes, I recommend over-ground train lines!)

If you like trains, I hope you get to ride one of those slower Tokyo trains in one way or another. To me, Tokyo is not a busy place. It's the "city centers" that are busy.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/22 13:39
30 mins into Chiba- Makuhari- plenty of parkland, borders Tokyo Bay. Numerous hotels and heaps of eating places/shops.
by couldabeen rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/22 19:25
Crowds and cities are not my natural habitat. I'm at home in the desert, on a mountain ridge, or deep in a forest. On my first trip to Japan, with a mixture of excitement and fear on the train in from Narita, I mentally steeled myself for the onslaught of the noise, crowds, and lights.

Then, I alighted at Nippori station and walked down to Yanaka, where I had booked to stay. I was shocked, it was quiet, there were few people, it was easy, it was gentle, it was homely like a small country town. I wandered around and wondered where everyone was. In the morning at 0800, I couldn't even find a shop that was open. I had completely misunderstood.

Why was it so different to what I expected? Maybe because the relatively small areas of intensity are what excites many people - they want to capture that feeling and convey it to others. The images and videos are of these most intense experiences. For some of us, we respond with trepidation to these scenes, and are more comfortable with quieter spaces.

Wander around Senso-Ji at 1100 on a Sunday and you will be looking for an escape route from the pressing crowds. Wander around there at 0700 in the morning or 2100 at night on a weekday and you will revel in having the place almost to yourself, and can sit quietly listening the water features. Wander along the Philosophers walk in Kyoto, and there are few vehicle noises, no barking dogs, no loud music, just the peaceful sound of trickling water.

Maybe you will find the same - you will be pleasantly surprised with the gentleness a short distance away from the bright lights of the lively hubs.

by insecteater rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/22 21:14
I love Yanaka, and the broader Yanesen area. Sakura Hotel Nippori is a nice, affordable hotel in the area.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a quieter Tokyo neighborhood? 2023/8/23 14:46
You may also go to Kichijoji for a laid-back bohemian area. It features Inokashira Park, which is great for peaceful strolls around the pond, rowing boats, and people-watching. The Harmonica Yokocho Alley offers a taste of traditional Japanese street food, and there are plenty of cafes and shops to explore.
by sarahinjapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

reply to this thread