Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Social worker in Japan 2023/8/27 07:58
Hello

Is it possible to be a social worker in Japan?
I really want to move to Japan and I figured that english teaching ain't gonna cut it forever. I was thinking about being a social worker but I'm not sure if a foreigner can do that? Does anyone know if I could be one? People say that Japan is really stressful but honestly, I don't care. I've made up my mind that I want to live in Japan so right now I'm just going to look into a career that I can go to? I'm more of a creative side and not a hard core math, technology kinda person. If there isn't a way to become a social worker, is there some other jobs that would be good to make a living off of? An english teacher would be nice in terms of what I like but from what I've heard about it, it's not gonna cut it.

Thanks!
by student (guest)  

Re: Social worker in Japan 2023/8/27 09:37
I don't think Japanese people would trust, let alone, understand a foreigner social worker. Do you understand Japanese and the Japanese way?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Social worker in Japan 2023/8/27 10:03
I do think that foreign social workers are going to be increasingly necessary in Japan, because foreign residents are increasing, and because not all foreign residents can afford help from private organizations.

As you may know, a social worker is someone who works as a bridge between ordinary caregivers and professional establishments. Someone who is fluent in languages/cultures both foreign and local, and are bold enough to face people's death, would be a huge help for the Japanese society today.

Below is a quick Japanese Google search in "social workers / qualifications":
https://www.google.com/search?q=%E3%82%BD%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A3%E...

By the way, a lot of people coming to this forum seem to avoid teaching English, but I hope they're aware that most teachers choose the job as something temporary and move on to something more ideal for them.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Social worker in Japan 2023/8/27 10:26
I know some people who work at the local city administration. Itfs not really social worker, but something more to do with people and not gmaths,ITch

Obviously your Japanese needs to be pretty good for that, but not perfect. Youfll be more responsible either for the local foreign residents or for tourism / economic promotion.

Other more gsocialh jobs are in hotel/restaurant business. Eg I have a (Japanese) friend who is a concierge at a major hotel in Tokyo and he has some foreigners as colleagues.

For all such roles a relatively good Japanese is needed. Roughly it takes about 1,5-2 years of full time studying Japanese (eg on a student visa at a language school in Japan) to reach N2 or N1. Obviously depends on how good you are at learning languages. I know more than enough foreigners (mostly with Japanese partners) who barely speak any Japanese after living here for 10+ years. While others manage to get to a very high level in about a year (generally Chinese, Taiwanese or Korean).
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread