Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

How to calculate and plan train rides? 2023/8/29 04:27
Hey there Japan Travelers,

so I am currently planning my japan trip for autumn and I am really really unsure if I need the JR pass or not (I know about the price hike and would book before)

So I was wondering is there any App or Website I can use to best see my options and train prices?

For example I would love to do some day trips from tokyo.

Like Tokyo > Hakone, Maybe Tokyo > Kamakura

I want to go Tokyo > Kyoto and stay there either for some days (2-3) or even more (5-6) and then do day trips from Kyoto too like: Kyoto > Osaka, Kyoto > Himeji

I am not sure I can do all of this with the JR Pass ? I also find it widely hard to understand how to actually book and reserve all these trains with the Pass.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

best,
Ichii
by Ichii_the_niceguy (guest)  

Re: How to calculate and plan train rides? 2023/8/29 06:28
How To calculate Train Fare :
Millions of Foreigners every day use hyperdia
by Reza (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to calculate and plan train rides? 2023/8/29 07:55
Hyperdia has been seriously nerfed for the past couple of years because JR started charging for timetables.
Personally I use https://japantravel.navitime.com/en/area/jp/route/ It is pretty accurate, but the timetables are a little out of date meaning occasionally trains are a few minutes different and it defaults to non-reserved seating.
For the travel outlined in the OP, other than a round trip Tokyo to Kyoto the other trips are pretty short/trivial and you would struggle to make much saving on a 7-day pass and the 14-day pass would be a lot more expensive. You simply are not travelling far enough in a short space of time to make it pay off.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread