Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Recommendations for Akita on 1 Sep 2023/8/30 20:08
Hi All,

I'm having my dream slow life in Lake Tazawa (remote working🤣) and I will be off this weekend. So I'm finding where to go to escape the heat.

I have been to Nyuto and Kakunodate last weekend, and of course around the lake. Could anyone suggest me any green place near Tazawako please? I'm actually reluctant to pick among Mt Akita-Komagatake, Dakigaeri valley and Tamagawa onsen. Mt Akita-Komagatake seems a hit harsh to me since I don't bring any suitable shoes/clothes for climbing. Dakigaeri valley seems costly because I can only go by taxi. Tamagawa onsen sounds like the only choice to me, but how is it different from Nyuto? Appreciate your ideas or other suggestions please.

I'm working/traveling alone and totally dependent on public transportation.

Many thanks.

Cheers
by Yukievn  

Re: Recommendations for Akita on 1 Sep 2023/8/31 11:08
Tamagawa onsen is NOTHING alike Nyuto onsen. The onsen itself is different, the water (actually its more like acid than water (pH 1!) ) is different and the landscape around is different. Very volcanic lots of sulphur a bit of radioactivity (people lie on top of some mildly radioactive stones to heal some ailments).

My choice definitely would be Tamagawa onsen. But beware itfs a long trip from Tazawako.
If you have a car check out Oname Motome
https://maps.app.goo.gl/jqCpDbeioVYKB9Jo6?g_st=ic
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Recommendations for Akita on 1 Sep 2023/8/31 12:17
Tamagawa onsen water is pH1.2 from hydrochloric acid - that is very high and the kind of levels you might find in a chemistry class - yikes!! Some people find this level painful and I certainly would not be wearing any metal in one of those baths. References say some onsens dilute the water to make it less acidic.
I also saw it is slightly radioactive - given the interest in the 0.06 grams of tritium per year being released by Japan into the Pacific (less than a typical Chinese nuclear power station releases each year, that might be a factor, but the levels are still quite low.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread