Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

12-Day Itinerary – include Hakone? 2023/9/1 06:41
Hi Japanfs experts and friends,

My wife and I (50+) and our 16-year-old daughter are planning our trip to Japan for 12days/12 nights on October 4-16, 2023, aiming to see some major attractions. We will fly in and out from Haneda airport, and considering to stay in Tokyo and Kyoto, and take one-day trips as follows

Arrival to Haneda 09:50am
Tokyo (5N): with day trips Kamakura, Nikko,
Kyoto (6N): with day trips Himeji, Nara,
Haneda (1N)
Departure from Haneda 09:40am
-------------------------------------
12 days / 12 nights

We would like to see as much as possible, but not too fast-paced, therefore omit Osaka, Hiroshima, Miyajima and other places that may require a longer travel.

But what about Hakone? Spending a night or two in ryokan at Hakone sounds intriguing: Mount View Hakone with onsen, dinner & breakfast looks beautiful. But that would decrease our time in Tokyo and Kyoto.

What would you recommend? To include Hakone or not? And if yes, 1 or 2 nights in ryokan?
And what could we see in these 1-2 days in Hakone area?

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions!

Alec
by Alec (guest)  

Re: 12-Day Itinerary – include Hakone? 2023/9/1 07:00
I think you can squeeze in 1N in Hakone. If you want to experience an Onsen Ryokan, I highly recommend it.
I believe you are planning a 1N stay in Haneda, because of the early flight the next morning. If you reverse your Tokyo-Kyoto order, you can go to Hakone on the way back to Tokyo from Kyoto. Then you can stay in one hotel in Tokyo. So, upon arrival go straight to Kyoto, then Hakone, then Tokyo.
by ITO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12-Day Itinerary – include Hakone? 2023/9/1 07:10
I think Night for Hakone can be enough. You get your Ryokan experience and can see the nature attractions and n Hakone. I understand that it is difficult to decide. You are gloosing g a day in either Tokyo or Kyoto. But youfd be gaining a day in nature. Specially the volcanic area on top of the mountain is spectacular. I still remember when I went for the first time in 1995. It was very impressive. Where do you see the soil boiling?
It was off limits last time I was in Hakone (about 2016) due to too high volcanic activity. But some friends of mine went last week and it is mostly open again.

So if you have never stood on a volcano I think itfs a great place. The rest of the attractions in Hakone are also fine. But you have seen a lake in your life.
And then there are the onsen.

So yes, probably I would make space for 1 day & night in Hakone. But if you decide against it, thatfs fine. Tokyo and Kyoto also merit their time.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 12-Day Itinerary – include Hakone? 2023/9/1 07:44
I think a 16yo would enjoy Dontonbori in Osaka for a visit. Easy to squeeze in as a dinner time travel option. Just all the neon lights and river cruises can be fun.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12-Day Itinerary – include Hakone? 2023/9/1 22:30
Day Trips kamakura:
You can buy Enoden 1 day rail pass=800 yen
Enoden bus 1 day pass =600 yen
Shonan monorail 1 day pass=610 yen
Enoshima kamakura free pass=810 yen
by Johan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread