Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Announce your resignation 3months in advance? 2023/9/2 19:23
Hello,

After 15 years in Japan, I intend to go back permanently to Europe in late December, I stayed more than 4 years in my current company (Backend Engineer) and I have a permanent contract (正社員), for various reason, including avoiding the yearly evaluation ordeal I would like to set things clear with my employer and tell my superiors that I will quit this december.

But looking at how easily they seem to fire people, I have little trust in them, and I am afraid that they tell me something like: "Oh no need to wait 3 months! We end your contract right now".

So my question is: Is it safe to announce 3 to 2 months in advance? Or should I wait the minimum required (2 weeks) ?

by RandomGlitchGenerator  

Re: Announce your resignation 3months in advance? 2023/9/3 14:07
Please check first what your contract says/requires. (But for “seishain” they might not have that written in a contract. There may be some stipulation in the employment rules. 就業規則)

I know that the minimum required by law is 2 weeks, but (unless you already have some issues with your boss that you want to postpone the notification to as late as possible) I suggest 1 month, this gives them decently enough time to get ready to hand the responsibility over to your successor/hire a successor, so that it makes them difficult for them to complain, and also if it is a month, should the boss react in the way you imagine, your damage would be limited. Also please give the notice in writing. Best wishes that everything goes well.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Announce your resignation 3months in advance? 2023/9/3 16:06
Only you know the climate in your company. There is definitely no need to tell them 3 months in advance as PP said. So if you fear your boss will kick you out immediately (not sure how she/he could do that legally though) then just wait. And just quit internally in the meantime. You’ll see a lot of things at work are much more relaxed once you know for yourself that it’s only weeks to go. Regardless if your boss knows.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread