Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Worth going to Kamikochi for the day? 2023/9/3 02:05
I will be basing myself in Takayama for 3 full days and wondering about a day trip to Kamikochi and whether it will be worth it even if just a day trip and not going hiking?

Is there still access to see beautiful nature if not going for long walks?

Or should I chance another type / destination for a day trip from Takayama?

Thanks !!
by Knnouz  

Re: Worth going to Kamikochi for the day? 2023/9/3 17:16
Hi! I really like Kamikochi, but it is best overnight. If you get there early enough you might see the troops of monkeys playing, they are funny as.

Whether I would bother depends on the time of year. Any time from May to September, you'd probably like it because it is cooler there, so I'd go if Takayama was too hot.

If it was early October you would get some autumn colours, by late October it is pretty cold and everything has gone brown and grey, apart from a bit of red here and there. By November, there might be snow on the peaks.

If you've never been to Shirakawa, that would be an alternative. It is super pretty as well but in a different way, but tbh I wouldnt go back there but would go back to Kamikochi (been 3 times).
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Worth going to Kamikochi for the day? 2023/9/3 23:11
There isn't really anything to do in Kamikochi if you don't want to walk. You can basically just hang around the bridge area. I will say that the hiking is not difficult or strenuous if that is your concern, but I wouldn't want to spend an entire day in Kamikochi unless I was going to actually walk on the trails. I'd spend the day somewhere else.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Worth going to Kamikochi for the day? 2023/9/4 02:12
Are there trails to hike if I go for a day trip?
i.e. couple of hours? or are they long hikes?
by Knnouz rate this post as useful

Re: Worth going to Kamikochi for the day? 2023/9/4 04:32
Hi, the whole area is set up for walking, so yes you can walk to the various parts without taking any of the mountain paths
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Worth going to Kamikochi for the day? 2023/9/4 06:50
Totally worth it, it's extremely beautiful and the basic walk to the bridge is a walk more than a hike, very easy but goes through stunning scenery.
by Denis C rate this post as useful

Re: Worth going to Kamikochi for the day? 2023/9/6 11:39
Kamikochi is not open all year round. I think it closes in mid-Nov and reopens in April.

If you are there when it's open, then it's totally worth it!
by doggieluver rate this post as useful

reply to this thread