Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

How to change from tourist to dependent visa 2023/9/4 16:07
I am currently living in Japan on work VISA. My spouse applied for the dependent VISA earlier and while waiting for the VISA to arrive she came on tourist VISA to Japan. Now she got the COE for dependent VISA, is it possible to change the VISA type from tourist VISA to dependent VISA while remaining in Japan?
by Sngh (guest)  

Re: How to change from tourist to dependent visa 2023/9/5 09:22
I am not a lawyer, but this is as far as I know.

Immigration doesnft really want to have people come into Japan as Temporary Visitor then change to a longer-term resident status gwhile remaining in Japan.h They prefer the path of obtaining CoE, then a visa, gwhile being outside Japanh and then entering Japan with the visa.

But I have heard (from an expert but I prefer not to disclose the source) that if you happen to be in Japan already when you obtain the CoE, yes, then it is possible to go to immigration bureau in Japan and apply for a gchange of resident statush from Temporary Visitor to whatever the longer-term one. (Do not say you came for a gvisa,h but say that it is for a gchange of resident statush - once you are in Japan, you refer to it as gresident status,h while gvisah is something you use to ENTER Japan.) Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread