Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

living in japan 2023/9/5 07:14
Okay, this is gonna sound weird but I wanna know places in Japan that are your ideal residential areas to live in in Japan. I know there are tons of places for "ideal" but where are some places that have everything close by, nice weather throughout which mean summers that are not too hot or humid and winters that are not too harsh, and safe communities and places where you can just stroll around and honestly everyone's ideal japanese neighborhood. Google isn't giving me what I want
by -_- (guest)  

Re: living in japan 2023/9/5 10:44
ueveryone's ideal japanese neighborhoodv - The thing is, everyone's ideal is different, so we'd need a little more information on what "ideal" means to you, especially with regards to "places that have everything close by." Since Japan is a country with both beautiful rural scenery and exciting urban areas, you're not going to find a single neighborhood that has "everything," since some of those things are mutually exclusive: the neighborhood with lots of quiet temples to visit isn't also going to have a large selection of fashionable nightlife options.

Personally, I love the beach, so I pretty much only want to live somewhere where I've got one that I can get to in less than an hour and I couldn't care less about having ski slopes or night clubs nearby, but I have friends who love skiing and clubbing and wouldn't want to live far away from places where they can do those activities.

If you really do want access to literally everything, your best bet would be to live in Tokyo, Osaka, or one of Japan's other major cities. You still won't have "everything" in the neighborhood you live in, but with Japan's well developed transportation network, you'll be able to access just about everything within a day trip or weekend.

Oh, and you might also have to pick one between "summers that are not too hot or humid and winters that are not too harsh." Almost all of Japan is hot and humid in the summer, with the exception of Hokkaido and the Tohoku region, and both of those get a lot of snow.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: living in japan 2023/9/5 13:09
You wants are too unrealistic. Japan is a mountainous country with alot of coastline.it is either cold winters and cool summers, or warm winter and hot summers.

As the rest of you wants. Way too vague for complete strangers to answer. Japan like most modern countries doesn't differ too much from other modern countries, when it comes to needs.

Think about what you actually want. Then search or ask for assistance find those wants.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: living in japan 2023/9/5 15:32
Except this point gsummers that are not too hot or humid and winters that are not too harshh most of Japan is ideal.

However if you donft want hot & humid AND donft want cold in the winter I donft think there is such a place in Japan.
If heat is the main concern, then Hokkaido is where youfll want to live.
If cold is the main concern youfll want to live on the Pacific coast somewhere roughly South of Tokyo and not up in any mountains.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: living in japan 2023/9/6 00:11
It sounds as though you want to live in Hokkaido in summer and Okinawa in winter.

Understanding weather systems in Japan will help you understand that what you are asking for does not really exist in Japan.

For summer - humid winds come from the south which affects most places apart from Hokkaido and some parts of northern honshu. Due to this - Japan can have some VERY HUMID weather compared to other locations internationally with similar locations on earth.

In winter, those southerly winds tend to dry up and are replaced by winds across the sea of Japan. This causes a lot of snowfall to occur particularly on the west coast which leads to very dry air on the east coast. It still snows and rains on the east coast often, but the air is some of the driest I've every lived in. As such - many homes and hotels have humidifiers to stop your skin from drying out.

On the safety front - it honestly harder to find a really dangerous place in Japan than safe place so it's kind of a defunct question.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: living in japan 2023/9/6 17:50
You want to live in Hakodate, medium-sized city, mild winters by Hokkaido standards(still going to be very cold and snowy, just not as extreme as Sapporo) very residential and safe.
by G (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: living in japan 2023/9/7 16:09
I agree that everyone's ideal will be different, depending on their individual needs and preferences. However, based on your criteria, I would recommend Kamakura. It's a historic city located near Tokyo and is best known for the Great Buddha of Kamakura. The weather is mild year-round, with summers that are not too hot and winters that are not too cold. The community is also known to be safe and friendly, just like every place I've been to in Japan.
by samuelwilliams (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: living in japan 2023/9/8 00:12
Among Japanese locals who are forced to move around, usually due to their jobs, Sapporo and Sendai seems to be pretty popular.

Sapporo is known for its heavy snow, but the heating system is amazing. I don't know why everybody loves Sendai, but I've visited the city and it wasn't bad at all.

The Shonan area is also known for its sea breeze and mild winters, both because of the current, and it's always been a place where people retreated to regain their health. But it's so popular among tourists, both domestic and foreign, that locals find it hard to move around in the weekends.

Safety is not to be defined by region or city. Within the same city, one road can be safer while another is more dangerous. But you shouldn't believe in the so-called "safety myth". You can encounter crime in what seems to be the most safest place in Japan. At least I have, many times. And while overseas, I've only been a victim of a crime once, even though I walk alone in the darkest cities during the wee hours.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread