Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Winter trip to Tohoku 2023/9/10 22:56
Hello guys, I am planning to have a 10 day trip (could be extend 1 or 2 more days) to Tohoku region next February to enjoy the Winter. I have been in Japan once, to Hokkaido. My current overall plan is as follows and would like to have your opinions.
- Day 1: Arrive at 8am, travel straight to Sendai
- Day 2: Yamagata
- Day 3: Aizu-Wakamatsu
- Day 4: Morioka
- Day 5: Aomori
- Day 6: Akita
- Day 7: Nyoto Onsen
- Day 8: Hiraizumi
- Day 9: Matsushima
- Day 10: Tokyo and fly back

Is that worth running city to city in Winter like this one? I would like to have the best of Tohoku in winter for this trip.

Thanks in advance.
by antung213  

Re: Winter trip to Tohoku 2023/9/11 15:18
I would halve the number of towns and stay 2 nights at those.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Winter trip to Tohoku 2023/9/11 16:37
That itinerary looks odd and very busy to me. I'm planning to visit some of these places in November and for me.

Yamagata & Matsushima are day trips from Sendai

Aizuwakamatsu is on the way from Sendai to Tokyo So I dont understand why you would travel down to it & then go back north.

For comparison I'm doing:
Tokyo 3 nights
Sendai 4 nights (Matsushima, Yamagata, Naruko Onsen)
Aizuwakamatsu 3 nights (Inc trip to Ouchijuku)
Tokyo 5 nights

by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Winter trip to Tohoku 2023/9/11 22:07
Logistically it is possible to get to all of these places, I guess, but it seems more like a train marathon than a leisure trip if you ask me. How much time will you have to enjoy the locations?

If you just want to mainly ride trains in Tohoku, therefs nothing wrong with it, but you might approach things differently to maximize that experience, and you donft need to go to all those well-known sites.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Winter trip to Tohoku 2023/9/12 02:06
Hi
February 20 just before the covid spread around the world I made a winter trip to Japan including some festivals Sapporo ,Oga and the big lantern festival near Kakunodate.
I wonder what do you want to see in Akita and Morioka in the winter ? Aomori maybe the Nebuta museum ? Or are this places only base for other trips?
by Japan new trip (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread