Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Remote Work for UK Company on Temp visa 2023/9/12 06:14
I am a British citizen and resident, planning to visit Japan for a 90-day stay while continuing to work remotely for my UK-based company.

My current employer is fully supportive of this arrangement, and all of my earnings will be transferred from one UK bank account to another. I won't be receiving any income from Japan.

I've tried searching online, but most of the information I found seems outdated. Can anyone provide up-to-date information or guidance on whether this is possible in 2023 and if there are any specific requirements or restrictions to be aware of? Your insights would be greatly appreciated!
by Cinziachi  

Re: Remote Work for UK Company on Temp visa 2023/9/12 09:25
Lots of people have done it. You ain't being paid in yen in Japan. So no one will know. Just don't go telling anyone at the airport what you are doing. Something will get lost in translation, and mayhem could arrive.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Remote Work for UK Company on Temp visa 2023/9/13 01:00
Technically, this is illegal. You cannot work on a tourist visa, and any work done in Japan (even remotely) counts. There is no provision for remote work on a tourist visa.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Remote Work for UK Company on Temp visa 2023/9/14 03:49
IMHO it is not nice, that almost in any country the local laws do not specify accurately that, what process or human behaviour is working and what is not. I.e is reading e-mails or making phone calls working or not.

Current situation is a win-win for both the country (Japan) and it society: the user receives income from outside the Japan, but probably spends a substantial amount of that in Japan therefore supporting local economy. Because he is not a resident, then healthcare for him/her is provided/paid by the personal health insurance. Also he is not competing for the available jobs in Japan.

BR,
Lauri
by Lauriandres (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Remote Work for UK Company on Temp visa 2023/9/14 07:18
Despite the reply by "/", it is not illegal. Also, the reply by "H" is i\also incorrect. You can be paid in yen without issue.
There is no problem in doing what you propose. You are not "working in Japan" as covered by the relevant definitions. You are working in the UK. To work IN Japan, you need to be employed by a Japanese company and paid for the work you do for that company in Japan (or another location at their direction). You are doing neither.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Remote Work for UK Company on Temp visa 2023/9/14 10:30
I'm sure your UK employer is already making sure that they're not contributing to anything illegal, but all you have to do to make sure is to inquire to the Embassy of Japan in the UK. My opinion is that what the OP is trying to do is legal.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Remote Work for UK Company on Temp visa 2023/9/14 10:54
because OP is non-resident in immigration matters, he/she also non-resident in income tax matters.
so that, he/she can't have any benefits as residents, like health care, etc. also, he/she can be deported at any time without showing the reasons. his/her situation is very unstable in Japan.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Remote Work for UK Company on Temp visa 2023/9/14 11:07
The way i take it, if you are traveling for pleasure to Japan on Temporary Visitor status, and check e-mails and discuss some things with your employer/business colleagues etc. from time to time during that time, that should be no problem. If you are traveling on business to Japan, to visit clients in Japan, holding meetings with clients/business partners in Japan, but continue to be paid by your home country employer, and particularly if you are not transferring any funds from your UK account to a Japanese account, that is OK (short-term business).

The immigration rules were established when there used to be no such thing as remote work, work from home, online working, etc.

As a non-resident, you will not have any local health insurance (so it is recommended to get some travel insurance).
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread