Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Work visa and "special" degrees 2023/9/15 19:23
My wife and I want to move together. She was supposed to move to my country (Denmark), but due to lack of job opportunities it looks like I will have to quit my job and move to Japan.
We have talked about spouse visa, but I will need a job in Japan first in order to prove that I actually have a stable income.

I have been looking for jobs and there are plenty (I am a frontend developer).
The problem is that I have issues figuring out if my degree would actually be accepted.
I do not have a 3-year Bachelor's degree as most danes have. Instead I have a 4-year Professional Bachelor degree, which is kinda similar to the japanese ‚“xê–åŽm.

On my diploma it DOES say in english "Bachelor in Web Development", but if immigration look at the years, it will say "2 years".
The reason for this is that in Denmark you can take a 2 year "academy" education, which alone will give you a diploma. In my case I have a diploma saying I completed 2 years of Web Design, but if you want to continue and get something similar to a BA, you can take another 2 years which are more advanced and then you can get a Professional Bachelor Degree. So it's two educations that are linked together, but each with their own diploma.

How badly would this affect my application?
by Marc87DK  

Re: Work visa and ''special'' degrees 2023/9/16 09:07
How many years web dev experience do you have? Degree might not even be relevant if youfve worked long enough.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa and ''special'' degrees 2023/9/16 10:40
I donft really understand your thoughts.
in general, you can have a spouse visa of your country much more easily than that you have a dependent visa (a visa for spouse of a foreign national) in Japan.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa and ''special'' degrees 2023/9/16 12:04
Donft those two diplomas have the years when you completed them? Then added together they will be considered equivalent to a 3-year or 4-year bachelorfs degree I assume? (Or you explain to them that the first one is a prerequisite to studying for the second diploma.)

Another thing - employers in Japan might prefer if you tell them you are eligible for gspouse of Japaneseh resident status, as they donft have to go through the hassle of sponsoring you for a visa.

For the first year when you come to Japan, it is natural that you donft have any income/tax record from Japan yet - for gspouseh status, it is more important that (1) the marriage is genuine, and (2) the couple has a stable prospects for making a living - so it is more that your Japanese spouse has some income, if not, then maybe ask her parent(s) to be a financial guarantor, or that you have good prospects for a job in Japan, which you can show by your employment track record so far. Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa and ''special'' degrees 2023/9/16 16:51
if your wife is a Japanese and you want to have a spouse visa of Japanese national, no educational qualifications are requested by immigration. clarify your situations.

if you need to have a working visa in Japan, you need to show your educational qualifications.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa and ''special'' degrees 2023/9/16 17:25
Oh Ifm sorry, I somehow misread your question - i assumed your wife was Japanese. If not, and if the two of you (both non-Japanese) want to move to Japan, at least one of you need to find a job, after which your wife can be grantedhdependenth status. Apologies for jumping to quick conclusion. (Still my point about bringing those two diplomas together is valid.)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread