Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Highschool in japan (15yo in Canada)? 2023/10/11 11:25
Hello, I want to know how I can go to Japanese high school for the next 3 years (graduate from the school). I am half Japanese and half Canadian and can speak fluently but I have not memorized as much kanji as an average 15 year old in japan. However I think with lots of studying I am able to catch up to a certain extent. I have a Japanese passport and family living in Fukuoka who can live with me. My main question is where to start. Like where can I find available high schools that I can apply to? I know that there are many different kinds of secondaries with specialities and stuff so I don’t know where to find the high schools available in Fukuoka and choose which one for me. Also how would I apply? Do I need to take a test just like any other student in japan? And if I graduate I assume I get a high school grad certificate as I know some exchange programs are like you do them for a year, but then you have to make up that year by doing an extra year in your normal high school again which is why I do not want to do that. I also don’t have much money. Also I always hear that Japanese high schoolers study a lot and stuff like that but I would love to hear the experience of an actual graduate; was it fun or just studying? How are the people like (will they be inclusive) And also can I live with my grandparents? Or do I have to be with my parents.
I have read a lot of similar questions/posts before but they all come from a foreigner’s perspective. I posted this because as a half Japanese I have no visa or honestly worries, and I am quite used to the language already.

Ps. It’s October rn (in grade 10) so I would most likely apply for the upcoming spring or if the school would maybe let me join their 1st year of high school from next September

Thank you
by Khanakisa  

Re: Highschool in japan (15yo in Canada)? 2023/10/11 14:26
Ask your grandparents if they are willing to be your official guardians - and ask your parents if they are ok with it - you need legal guardians if you are 15.

Have you completed grade 9 (meaning junior high) in Canada?

Have your grandparents look for, or yourself look for, high schools in Fukuoka that accept 海外帰国子女 (overseas returnee students). Once you find a candidate school, it will be a matter of asking the school individually what the admission process would be.

Note that as senior high schools are not part of mandatory education in Japan, it will cost some, be it public or private.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Highschool in japan (15yo in Canada)? 2023/10/17 02:16
In your case, visa issues shouldn't be a big problem unlike the cases of other kids you have read about before, because of your ongoing Japanese citizenship. Thanks to this you might be considered just a "returnee" (no visa requirement) rather than a foreign student (which need visa!), as long as you've completed the 9-year curriculum in Canadian schools, or you're going to finish it by next March. But please be aware that the rules for being a "returnee" might vary by region and school. Also I cannot provide specific information regarding unique curriculum situations such as online courses or homeschooling.
After sorting out your legal guardianship matter (would be your grandparents?) among your family, you can start searching for information together with your parents and guardians about schools that accept overseas returnee students in Fukuoka. It's important for the adults around you to take the lead in reaching out to these schools. If they don't do anything practical for you, your dream will never come true.
Each school has its own admission process. Some may require an entrance exam with multiple subjects, while others just task you an interview and a language proficiency test. Also there are some which ask for both.

This link may be helpful for you to find schools in Fukuoka which have a system for returnee students. Just select "Fukuoka" and "high school" to see the options.
https://www.joes.or.jp/g-kokunai
by Stip (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Highschool in japan (15yo in Canada)? 2023/10/17 09:56
Hi Khanakisa,

Just so that you'd know, threads by sss244 and/or mina22watanabe might answer many of your questions.

https://www.japan-guide.com/search/?cx=015609760794546757367%3A7rvvvop...

https://www.japan-guide.com/search/?cx=015609760794546757367%3A7rvvvop...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Highschool in japan (15yo in Canada)? 2023/10/18 22:28
Just so that you'd know, threads by sss244 and/or mina22watanabe might answer many of your questions.

That is so surprising that three Japanese-Canadian girls who want to move to Japan for doing high school have appeared on just one web forum continuously in such a short term!

...Wait, there must not be three girls, but TWO girls in my suspicion.
by Stip (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread