Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Unique Sunsets and Sunrises in Tokyo 2023/10/12 07:32
Can anyone share some off-the-beaten-path places to view sunrise or sunset in Tokyo during the winter months? Majority of my research keeps sending me to the same places, but I'm wondering if there is any unfamiliar or uncommon places that can be recommended?
by valdezja  

Re: Unique Sunsets and Sunrises in Tokyo 2023/10/13 06:24
Enoshima is fantastic for sunrise and sunset. If you are staying at Iwamotoro Honkan you often see Fuji across the bay in the morning, with fishing boats going out and the hawks circling
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unique Sunsets and Sunrises in Tokyo 2023/10/13 09:04
Takao mountain is another famous place for sunrise
https://www.barrettish.com/travel/post/japan/tokyo-new-years-mt-takao-...

If you are looking for something in the city I remember a nice sunrise Wakasu Seaside park in the bay.

I also vote for sunset in Enoshima.

For sunset maybe a dinner place in a skyscraper would be nice?
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Unique Sunsets and Sunrises in Tokyo 2023/10/13 18:56
If you want uncommon for sunset, maybe my experience today fits the bill - Chuo Rapid line - Fuji was nicely showing itself on my ride home as I returned to Tokyo today and the line has a lot of places where Fuji is visible. Probably not what you are looking for. In winter, with clearer skies, it can look very nice - river side on Tamagawa (rail bridge near Tachikawa) is a spot many people do paintings and photos for Fuji.
Mt Fuji is visible from a lot of different places around Japan, not just Tokyo. Best conditions, it is even visible from Nagoya. I have a nice set of sun-rise photos from a hotel I used in Osaki a few years back.
Enoshima is a nice place to visit and would be good for sunrise. Anywhere with a nice clear view across the ocean might suit. I usually wake to the sunrise and like the dawn rays as they spread across the city.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Unique Sunsets and Sunrises in Tokyo 2023/10/13 19:53
By far the most stunning sunset I ever saw in Tokyo was from a airplane departing from Haneda Airport. It was actually fully dark at takeoff time, the sun having dropped well below the horizon while the plane was waiting on the tarmac for departure. It was a clear night, and the lights of the metropolitan area were spectacular. But, in the west, there was still an afterglow from the sun, with the silhouette of Mt. Fuji prominently visible.

On that evening I had perfect luck with the timing, my seat on the plane, and the atmospheric conditions, and it was a jaw-dropping display. Of course you canft expect to get such a view from the ground. But I think that if you have a nice clear day it is worth going to one of the observation decks that has a view of Mt. Fuji, timing your visit so you can see the actual sunset, and then hanging around for the afterglow. You wonft be able to get the same birdfs eye view of the city lights, but you will get some of them.

FWIW, I was seated on the left side of the plane heading to North America. I have seen Mt. Fuji from an airplane numerous times, but never anything like that before.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread