Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Rail passes required 2023/10/18 01:50
I am going to Japan for 10 days in December

I have a rough itinerary I just wanted to know about public transport and if I need different rail cards etc. I have been google searching but nothing is easy to understand.

Itinerary is

Day 1/2 Tokyo
Day 3 Mt Fiji (rail card required to go from Tokyo to mt fiji?)
Day 4/5 Kyoto (can I get here from Mt fiji or do I need to go back to Tokyo?
Day 6 Osaka and Nara (again railcard advice please)
by Sam (guest)  

Re: Rail passes required 2023/10/18 07:59
What does the rest of your itinerary look like? Are you returning to Tokyo?

Also where around Fuji are you planning to go? Hakone, Fuji Five Lakes?

You donft gneedh a Rail pass - you can get individual tickets too. You would buy a pass if it saves you money. And I cannot figure it out without looking at your overall itinerary.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Rail passes required 2023/10/18 08:04
Hi! From my understanding, you don't need rail passes to travel between Tokyo and Mt Fuji area as there bus connections from Tokyo. However, you can consider the Fuji Hakone Rail Pass by Odakyu Railways.

From Tokyo to Osaka, you can buy a single trip ticket on the Shinkansen (13,870 ~, Tokyo to Shin-Osaka) as the JR Pass would not pay off for this trip. Alternatively, you can consider taking a highway bus, which is significantly cheaper but considerably slower.

Within Osaka and Nara, you can use your Tokyo IC cards (Suica/Pasmo) or ICOCA cards (JR West) to get around. You can also consider using a 1-day/2-day Kintetsu Rail Pass (1,500/2,500 ~) or JR West Kansai Area Pass (2,800/4,800 ~) to get around. Both also allow access to Kyoto.

Hope that helps :))
by Mizuno Jun rate this post as useful

Re: Rail passes required 2023/10/18 08:09
JG has a good summary of rail passes
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html

And in the individual page of each of your destinations there is a description how to get there.

What you will gneedh is an IC card. Because it is simply the easiest way to pay for local public transport. You can theoretically pay by cash each ticket but thatfs a PIA.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Rail passes required 2023/10/21 01:14
You never "need" an IC card - but they can be very convenient.
I haven't gone from Tokyo to Mt Fuji (and I presume you really mean Kawaguchiko at the Fuji 5 Lakes and not Hakone) by an IC card but I have done it with a JR Rail Pass, and you could run into a similar snag, unless you get off at Otsuki Stn (where JR coverage ends) and insert your card again for the Fujikyu part of the fare. They are different companies but the train runs on the same track. I used a pass and just paid the Fujikyu fare at Kawaguchiko going over, but on the return the pass tripped JR's turnstile alarm when I got to Tokyo and had to get the case cleared at the manned ticket counter. At any rate, the bus from Shinjuku Stn is cheap and more efficient.
You do not need to go back to Tokyo to go on to Kyoto. You can take a 90 minute bus to Mishima Stn and get the bullet train - but it will be a "slower" Kodama train, and you should consider switching to a Hikari train from Shizuoka, Hamamatsu, or Nagoya Stn to save some time (check the rail schedules - there could be quite a wait for the Kodama train and the HIkari trains). You can use the IC cards to get from Kyoto to Nara & Osaka (not bullet train) without any trouble. You only need one IC card - you don't need to get any other.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread