Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Hokkaido in Janaury, or will it be a waste? 2023/10/21 18:17
I'm planning a trip to Japan in late December/early January. We plan on spending New Year in Tokyo, along with hitting up Niseko and Hakuba for some skiing.

I'm currently looking at about 9 days of tourism in the Hokkaido area, hitting up Sapporo, Noribetsu, and Hakodate and probably a few other spots on the way. However, I'm concerned that maybe my time would be better spent moving back to the North/Central Honshu and seeing Sendai or Aomori (or similar). It seems like a lot of the winter attractions focus on skiing and the snow festival, which we unfortunately just can't stay for due to work.

From anyone with experience, what is tourism like in Hokkaido in the week after the new year? Is it too cold to really get out and do anything? Is time better spent elsewhere? It isn't our first or last trip to Japan, but it is my first to the North and I'm keen to explore if it's worth the time!
by PalomaRose  

Re: Hokkaido in Janaury, or will it be a waste? 2023/10/22 15:39
Will it be a waste ?
You cant say in this way.Millions of japanese reside,stay their whole life in hokkaido prefec ture and they never complain,so if it will your first trip in hokkaido,i am 100% sure,you will fall in love with hokkaido prefecture,so you will want to visit hundred(100) times more
by Joha (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in Janaury, or will it be a waste? 2023/10/22 21:58
If there is snow, it's very beautiful. Otaru, Biei's blue pond "light up", Hakodate's Goryokaku, etc. all look great in the snow! Of course, if there is snow it will be cold, so if that doesn't appeal to you, it's probably not a good choice, but Aomori, one of your alternatives, will likely be cold, as well. Snow in Sendai or Central Honshu will be a gamble. It is still very cold, but in the absence of snow, you are not only cold, but the general landscape is dead and ugly. For me, personally, when I travel in the winter in Japan, I always seek snow, so I find Hokkaido and Tohoku to be great in the winter. Going after New Years should be good, too, because you will not have to worry about the New Years closures. Everything will be open!
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in Janaury, or will it be a waste? 2023/10/23 00:35
tourism in January in Hokkaido is very light-mostly skiers and business people, not foreign tourists-you will love it-as an example, there is an underground walkway from Sapporo station to Suskino so that, if the snow is extra heavy, you will be inside, yet can walk, eat, shop, explore, relax etc
by sapporostan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread