Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Day Trip Kamikochi mid-November 2023/10/25 18:18
Ignorant Australian tourist.

Can somebody please help me understanf any worries about wilf-life and whether the trail between *** is it's a populated walking spot or whether I'll be alone because that will inform me to worries of bear encounters. Not wanting to walk alone thinking on bear encounters hahaha. Also whether the temperature there will be something that is overly cold or whether it's just chilly in that time of year.

Thank you.
by Jack Poll  

Re: Day Trip Kamikochi mid-November 2023/10/26 06:49
Kamikochi closes on November 15, and I think it not unusual for snow to have fallen already. There won't be much left for bears to eat, so I assume they have either left the area or started hibernating.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Day Trip Kamikochi mid-November 2023/10/26 07:58
Hi, I've been there a few times, most recently just before it closed the year before Covid shutdowns. Bear sightings are pretty rare (there was one a few days before we got there). You are more likely to see monkeys but they stay off the paths once more people arrive, they do tend to be around on the paths and near the hotels early morning, they are a hoot to watch but crap everywhere.

The only other animal I can recall seeing there was a stripey snake on a path near the tiger grass, but it would be way too cold for them in November.

Even in November there are still quite a few people about, so I wouldnt be concerned that you will be off by yourself.

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day Trip Kamikochi mid-November 2023/10/26 09:00
Sorry, on the temps it can be very cold that time of year - likely to be snow on the peaks and maybe flurries at the valley level, work on sub 10 degrees celsius.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day Trip Kamikochi mid-November 2023/10/26 10:54
I was there last weekend for 2 nights with temperature in the teens deg C during the day to almost freezing point at night.

It was raining when I got there in the afternoon but was nice and sunny the next two days. Night time was very cold and the portable heater in the hotel room helped a bit.

Since it is autumn colours time, it was pretty busy along the trails to the popular spots. I will say more than half of the people had bear bells.

On a sad note, there was a bear attack last month near Dakesawa Marsh https://bnn.network/breaking-news/accidents/caution-in-kamikochi-the-b...
by CDY (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread