Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Confused with train tickets planning 2023/11/6 06:22

Ifm a bit struggling with understanding which train tickets / passes I should buy, I find everything so confusing (ps I donft have a jr pass).
I have some questions hopefully someone can help me here:

- Tokyo -> Kyoto with Shinkansen. Ifm finding a bit complicated to buy the ticket online, can I buy it in person when I will be in Japan? Ifll be travelling end of November with 2 oversized luggage (we are 2 people)

- Hakone Pass - Did I understand correctly that if I want to from Shinjuku to Hakone with the Romancecar, I should buy the pass for Hakone only, and separately buy the romancecar from Shinjuku to Hakone yumoto (back and forth)?

- Nikko and surroundings - We are planning to go:
day 1 - Tokyo -> Yunishigawa Onsen 
day 2 - Yunishigawa Onsen -> Nikko (go around) -> Tokyo (evening) 
I was initially thinking to buy the Nikko Pass but it wouldnft cover my trip on day 1, correct? I will take the Limited Express Revaty
Is the Nikko pass worth it for only 1 day / half a day? 
Does the Nikko Pass cover the trip from Nikko to Tokyo? I donft understand it from the website. It seems like it cover the trip, but then I read that for the express train an additional ticket is needed. But the express train is the way to get there so why they say itfs included 1 round trip? 
Can I buy the tickets (both Nikko Pass and the train ticket for Yunishigawa Onsen) when Ifm in Tokyo or do I need to do it online? Ifm afraid it will be full and there wonft be available seats anymore)

- Sagano Romantic Train - I wanted to buy tickets for the end of November / beginning of December but itfs all booked out! :( checked in the official website and on klook. Any chance to buy them anywhere else?
by Gingerbean  

Re: Confused with train tickets planning 2023/11/6 08:03
Regarding Shinkansen ticket, yes you can easily buy them at a JR station (best from a machine) when you are here. With two oversized luggage you need to buy the last row. Itfs a special menu point when buying the ticket at the machine.
I would however rethink if you need two oversized luggages. Hotel rooms are small in Japan so youfll be dancing around your luggage every time you enter your room. Try packing lightly and consider washing at a hotel (check but many hotels have washing machines). Some people complain that this takes time. But it doesnft really. You just do it in a time you are in your room anyway.

I donft know enough about the Nikko and Hakone passes to advise.

Regarding Sagano railway there was recently a different post about it that answers your question. Itfs not surprising that it is sold out end November being it peak time for koyo.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread