Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Kiso-Fukushima to Nakatsugawa in one day? 2023/11/8 05:48
Hello, I plan to take the train from Kiso-Fukushima station to Nagiso in the morning, then taxi to Tsumago.

I then plan to walk from Tsumago to Magome, then bus to Nakatsugawa and overnight there at a ryokan.

I have read that the walk between Tsumago and Magome can take up to three hours. I am a pretty fast walker and in relatively decent shape but am wondering if maybe it would be better to have a more relaxed trip by overnighting in Magome or even Tsumago, the latter of which seems more interesting.

Thanks!
by McVeigh (guest)  

Re: Kiso-Fukushima to Nakatsugawa in one day? 2023/11/8 07:14
Hi! We really love that area. I have only ever walked Magome to Tsumago but I think it would be better the other way. I think:

1. Tsumago to me isnt very interesting though I have only seen it during the week when everything is shut or after 3PM on a weekend when everything is shut. It might be more interesting when it is livelier;
2. I would allow 3 - 4 hours for the walk. The waterfall area close to Tsumago is nice for a potter around, you might decide to stop at the teahouse which is about half way (I havent as I am always scared the guy will start singing to us), and there is a nice cafe closer to Magome that serves chestnut rice which is surprisingly delicious. It took us about 3.5 hours last time I did it, including spending a bit of time in Magome itself and having some chestnut rice;
3. Magome itself is a decent sized town. Yes it is touristy, but touristy fun not touristy annoying. The views there are spectacular. Tsumago doesnt have as nice views, and isnt quite as touristy.
4. Personally I think getting the early morning views at Magome would make it worthwhile staying there, which I would probably do when we go back.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread