Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Miyajima or Gero Onsen? 2023/11/21 11:41
we (family of 4 adults) have planning to go to Japan for 10 days trip on Mid January 2024. In and out from Haneda airport . We have been to Japan for few times.
Current itinerary
5 nights in Kyoto, with the option day trip to Osaka, Nara, Arashiyama and Miyajima
1 night at Gero Onsen
3 nights in Tokyo (returning home on midnight flight)

With the new 7th day JR pass price, a trip to Miyajima will cover the price. but the trip from Gero to Tokyo will take more than 3 1/2 hours.

Still confuse, should I continue to Miyajima and Gero,
Or Skip Miyajima, continue with Gero, means
Or Skip Gero, continue with Miyajima.
Note : Miyajima and Gero are on our bucket list

Can I use JR Hokuriku Pass for this trip (skip the Miyajima) ? because I can not find how to get to Tokyo from Gero

by Melia (guest)  

Re: Miyajima or Gero Onsen? 2023/11/21 23:49
Of course you could skip Miyajima or skip Gero, but why? You call them "bucketlist" destinations and you were able to fit them into your itinerary, so I don't understand why you are asking about skipping them. Is it just the travel time?

I don't think the time is so long for destinations that you consider "must see" and if you spend the night in Gero, you will only be traveling once that day. You would go to Kyoto the next day. Also, because Gero is an onsen town, any stress from traveling would be relieved by time in the onsen and at your ryokan/hotel.

As for Miyajima from Kyoto as a daytrip, it's 2.5 hours both ways plus the ferries to and from the island. You can have a casual daytrip if you just want to visit the shrine, see the deer, and eat momiji-manju and browse the shops, but if you want to go up the mountain, visit Daishoin Temple, etc. as well, start early. The more you want to do, the earlier you will want to start the day, but it's possible to see most of the sights in a day, even from Kyoto.

As for the passes, none of the regional passes cover Gero from Tokyo, because Tokyo is outside of the region. There are regional passes that include Gero and Hokuriku/Kyoto/Nagoya, but not Tokyo.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima or Gero Onsen? 2023/11/22 01:16
I agree with Rabbityama. Since it's on your bucket list and doable, why not do it? 3.5-4h of travel in a single day is still reasonable, and a hot spring in the cold weather would be very enjoyable. You can have a lunchbreak in Nagoya if you want to split your trip.

If you land at Haneda in the morning, maybe you can go directly to Miyajima and spend your first night in Japan there. There's absolutely nothing to do at night and the food options are very limited, but you can enjoy the quiet city and landscape before the crowd arrives in the morning.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima or Gero Onsen? 2023/11/23 19:54
Thank you for all the inputs. It is really helpful
by Melia (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread