Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Work visa with a 1.5 years bachelors degree 2023/12/18 18:01
I recently graduated with a bachelors degree in digital business from a triple accredited university and am currently a marketing intern in a Japanese language school in my country. I will be moving to Japan in April 2024 to further study Japanese for about a year. Currently able to hold conversations without any struggles but not on a business level. I am hoping to find a job in marketing after I obtain the JLPT N2 cert however I'm worried that i might not be able to get a work visa as I technically did not study 4 years for my bachelors degree.

I studied in a private school whereby after completion depending on your grades, allows you to enter the second year of university, letting students obtain a bachelors degree after studying for an additional 1.5 years. The university says that it is considered a 3 years bachelors degree if we manage to enter and graduate with the program but Ifm not sure if it is recognised in Japan. Ifve read that you need to convince the immigration authorities that the degree is a 3 years bachelors degree.

Just wondering about the chances of getting a work visa.

by S.T (guest)  

Re: Work visa with a 1.5 years bachelors degree 2023/12/18 18:12
A degree is a degree. Time to achieve is irrelevant.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with a 1.5 years bachelors degree 2023/12/18 21:54
Coming from the U.K. we donft have g4 yearsh bachelor degrees and Ifve been able to get work visas just fine.

As long as itfs a full bachelors degree and not just an associates degree then you should be fine. I had a friend try to get a visa with an associates and it didnft go through.

Best of luck to you!
by mycatslovewagyu rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with a 1.5 years bachelors degree 2023/12/19 06:21
Your friend wasn't denied a visa due to his associates degree. It was something else.

Most of this misinformation that you need a 4 year bachelor's degree comes from the English teaching bubble. Was your friend trying to be an English teacher?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with a 1.5 years bachelors degree 2023/12/19 06:53
@.

Yeah they were trying to be an English teacher.

I believe one can get work with a Japanese associate degree, is that correct?
by mycatslovewagyu rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with a 1.5 years bachelors degree 2023/12/19 13:06
I see! Ifve read a couple of articles stating that it needs to 3 years or 4 years bachelors degree which got me worried. I feel more at ease now. Thanks for your answers guys! ╰(*L︶`*)╯♡
by S.T (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with a 1.5 years bachelors degree 2023/12/19 15:10
The degree (associate's, vocational, etc.) does not need to be from a Japanese school. Your area of study needs to be related to the work you will be doing.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with a 1.5 years bachelors degree 2024/1/18 09:01
Hi I have a similar question. Will it matter that my bachelors is 2 years instead of 4 because all my credits transfer from my associates degree. Or do I have to start from scratch and get a four year bachelorfs degree.
by Blue (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with a 1.5 years bachelors degree 2024/1/18 10:33
@Blue

The question was literally just answered as the first answer to this thread. The amount of time it takes to complete a degree doesn't matter. If you finished your degree in 2 years compared to 4, they don't care. As long as you finished and got your degree, that's all they need to see.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with a 1.5 years bachelors degree 2024/1/21 08:07
What countries need four years to complete a basic bachelors degree? Is this a USA issue?
The requirement is a recognized bachelors degree - I was already working on my masters degree by year four. And at bachelors level, some students were allowed to skip the first year (known as direct entry). Useful the the engineering school as they required an intermediate year, but only for the top kids - made things tough missing the first year.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with a 1.5 years bachelors degree 2024/1/21 15:13
JapanCustomTours,

In Japan it usually takes 4 years to complete an undergraduate degree = bachelorfs degree.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with a 1.5 years bachelors degree 2024/1/21 16:04
in Japan, undergrade in university is the extension (next step) of senior high school. apparently they take "credit system", but actually it is "grade system". we need to spend 4 years for graduation. analogously, master course for 2 years and doctoral course for the next 3 years.
thus, most of students in the same grade are in the same age. we can have PhD. finally at the age of around 27.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread