Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Figuring out best rail passes? 2023/12/28 23:45
Hello!

My partner and I are traveling to Japan in February for 18 nights, our first time, very excited! Ifm trying to sort out our travel and find myself being overwhelmed by the travel options. It looks like the best option is to buy the Tokyo and Kansas region passes but I was wondering how to factor in travel between the regions as well as the airport. For reference our itinerary is:

Day 1: Haneda airport to Tokyo
Day 2-9: Tokyo based with view of going to Yokohama & mt.fuji
Day 10: Tokyo to Kansai region
Day 10-15: Osaka/Kyoto based with view of going to Nara, Kobe & Nagoya
Day 16: Kansai region to Tokyo
Day 18: Tokyo to Haneda Airport

Any help deciphering whatfs best pass wise would be great thank you!
by Tangoooooo (guest)  

Re: Figuring out best rail passes? 2023/12/29 08:00
You are really not doing much travel at all (and a lot of time in Tokyo). Even the Kansai portion the regional pass would not cover Nagoya and places like Nara and Kobe are really cheap local trips. Similarly, Tokyo to Yokohama is nothing - a few hundred yen. A lot of what you are looking at are 500-1000 yen (less than US$10) so buying a 50,000 or 80,000 national pass or even the regional passes is likely to be complete over-kill.

Single tickets and IC cards.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Figuring out best rail passes? 2023/12/29 08:04
Tokyo to Kansai just buy a regular Shinkansen return ticket.

Kansai area, if any pass will pay off depends where youfll actually go. For Tokyo city itself a IC card is all you gneedh. Yes, there are some metro passes but if they turn out cheaper depends a lot on where you go and how much you move everyday. Transport isnft that expensive anyway.

For seeing Fuji it again depends where you want to do that. If eg from Hakone the logical thing would be to do it on your way from Tokyo to Kansai. Then no pass applies or potentially the local Odakyu pass if you want to do the loop.

In Kansai, which pass specifically are you thinking about? With the exception of Nagoya all the places you list are pretty close to each other and not that expensive. For Nagoya the reasonable thing to do is to visit it on you trip between Kansai and Tokyo.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Figuring out best rail passes? 2023/12/29 09:32
I really don't see any passes helping you in your plans...actually costing you more, probably. You only list some cities though, so something like a Kintetsu 1 day pass might be worth it depending on where you are going, and riding enough trains/buses. Plus as mentioned, there is no need to go Kansai-Nagoya-Kansai-Tokyo. Just visit Nagoya en route to Kansai.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread