Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

3 week itinerary review 2023/12/29 10:35
This is my first trip to Japan. Yes, I know it's Golden Week, but my plane tickets were free :) We will be in Japan during the end of April, first 2 weeks of May
- 4 or 5 nights in Tokyo with 1 day trip, probably to Kamakura
- 4 nights in Takayama. I want to visit Shirakawa-go and Kamikochi and Kiso Valley. Thinking about renting a car for this section. Should I stay somewhere else? I want to see the mountains. Will the weather be too cold at the end of April into early May?
- 3 nights in Kanazawa; I primarily want to see the garden. Not sure what else I want to do.
- 5 or 6 nights in Hiroshima; 2 days to see Miyajima, visit Mazda factory (husband loves cars), 1 day to see Koraku-en, 1 day to visit Kurashiki
- 5 nights in Kyoto, including a day trip to Toyota Museum , visit monkeys.

Any suggestions? Is this doable? Thanks for your help.
by ellenofthelake  

Re: 3 week itinerary review 2023/12/29 15:45
Very much doable, mostly seems like a nice trip.

Couple of comments -

Kamikochi is likely to be quite cold, Takayama not likely to be cold, cool at best. Last few times I've been in May it has been pretty hot. I wouldnt pack heavy gear.

I wouldnt rent a car unless you really want to. Public transport is fantastic and quite relaxing.

5 to 6 days in Hiroshima is quite a lot but I'm not that familiar with it.

Kyoto is likely to be ferally busy, essentially like being in a theme park for a week. Consider a couple of those nights in Nara which is a fantastic place, much more spread out so if there are crowds you dont notice them as much. We usually stay at Nara Hotel (original wing) for a treat, but we've also really liked staying in the Wakakusayama hill area, which is essentially between two major sites and close to the forest.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3 week itinerary review 2023/12/29 18:48
Hello, did you read the replies to your previous post?

Regarding your revised itinerary:
- Koraku-en is alright, but I wouldn't do a round trip to Okayama just to see it. It's huge, there are some nice spots, but a lot of the park is just grass lawn. If you like gardens, check out the Shukkei-en in Hiroshima. It's small, and though you can still see the city when you are inside, it's very pretty.
- "2 days to see Miyajima": too much time. You only need half a day to see the torii and the temple.

If you really want to rent a car somewhere, you could remove Hiroshima from your trip and spend 6 nights on Shikoku instead. Maybe take the train from Kyoto to Kochi, and then fly back to Tokyo.
- Kochi prefecture (Niyodo blue & Shimanto river): https://niyodoblue.jp/en/ and https://shikoku-tourism.com/en/see-and-do/10071
- Tokushima prefecture (Iya Valley): https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7825.html
I haven't been there myself (yet)... because I don't drive, and public transportation is scarce.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

reply to this thread