Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/10 00:56
Hello. I only have time to visit one of them. Which one is more magical for a first-timer ? I am going during cherry blossom season, so also wondering if Philosopher's path would seem more crowded due to the narrow streets. Appreciate the feedback.
by SG (guest)  

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/10 09:04
Depends where you are coming from. What else you are doing.

The incline though is much easier to access. So close to a subway station.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/10 09:19
Thanks for the answer. That day is a charged one. Planning to go to Kymomizudera at 6 am, then Nannenzaka and Sannenzaka. Then walk to Maruyama and Yasaka shrine. Te the option is to either go to philosopherfs part or keage incline. I would prefer to go to the most magical experience of cherry blossoms for a first-timer.
by SG (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/10 09:21
I certainly do not consider the Philosopher's path "magical" and far from one of the better places for hanami in Kyoto. It has hype, but for me, doesn't deliver.
Nanzenji Temple near Keage I find more interesting.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/10 10:01
I visited both the Keage Incline and Philosopher's Path during a trip to Kyoto during the cherry blossoms in 2015. The Philosopher's Path was okay, but out of the two, I preferred Keage Incline. There were a lot more cherry blossom trees that lined the Keage Incline area and I felt that it was also the prettier of the two locations.
Nanzenji Temple and Heian Shrine are also close by, and both are very lovely spots to enjoy the cherry blossoms.

Which ever you choose, though, I recommend getting there was early in the morning as you possibly can so that you can beat the crowds.
by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/10 16:13
I go to both and I like both.
But I think Keage Incline will be more satisfying.
I walked along the canal from Keage Incline to Heian Shrine and also enjoyed the cherry blossom trees along the canal.
I also recommend the garden of Heian Shrine.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/10 16:56
Not a fan of the Philosopher's Path-it's nice enough on a quiet day but there are many prettier, and quieter, parts of Kyoto.

We had an accidental, magical walk during cherry blossoms in 2018, through the back streets between Sanjuusangendo and the station, near some small creeks/canals that run through the area.

by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/10 18:57
Thank you so much for the answers. I think Keage incline wins and that was what my heart was telling me.

One more vote for Keage Incline 2024/1/10 21:19
I love both locations, but if your time is limited, I would recommend Keage Incline more. It's easily accessible, quite close to a subway station, and it boasts a greater number of cherry blossom trees. If you have additional time, you can also visit Nanzen-ji Temple after enjoying the Incline. I like Nanzen-ji because of its blend of Japanese elements in the temple buildings and garden, along with Western elements, such as the relic of a water bridge located in its field.

Philosopher's Path is also nice, but when I visited there last time, it was already crowded with tourists. Although not as overwhelming as at Kinkaku or Kiyomizu-dera Temple, the number of tourists was enough for me to find that it might be gradually turning into one of Kyoto's "tourist traps", falling victim to overtourism.
by Stip (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/11 04:34
To put it plainly, the Philosopher's Path is one of the most overhyped places of Kyoto (along with the Sagano Bamboo Grove). In cherry blossom season, it is one of the times of the year to go and walk it if you really want to experience it. You might like the Keage incline more though.
Nanzenji (along with its subtemples, like Tenjuan, Konchi-in) and the Nanzenin Garden are by far more appealing though. It's a huge complex, altogether.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/11 08:01
One additional comment on the so called "Philosopher's Path" - a concrete canal with trees and houses either side. For a lot of routes starting up near the silver pavilion you get dumped in a random neighbourhood not close to anything or transport at the other end. I have in years gone by visited some of the other local temples or Heian Shrine (the garden is good in spring and autumn), and my last time learned some fun things about a nearby power station. However, on that latest visit to the area my guests had been recommended a spot there, and after walking along the canal they were, how shall I say - completely over it. Managed to collar a taxi on a random street for them and they retreated back to the hotel.

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/11 10:54
I think that the Philospherfs Path is a good example of a place that became famous years ago for one reason or other and then keeps getting described in overly favorable terms in tourist information resources. Then, people driven by fear of missing out feel that they have to go there because they see it mentioned a lot. I hate to say it, but I feel that a lot of popular places in Kyoto have lost their value as gmust-seeh sites, but they continue to attract large numbers of tourists, many of whom then p--- and moan because these places are dreadfully crowded.

I also think that the name and story behind the philosopherfs path play a big role in attracting people, just like they get seduced by the name gRomance Carh and the story of Hachiko.

As for the power plant near the Heian Shrine, I found this to be much more interesting than the concrete canal. I assume JapanCustomTours is talking about the Ebisugawa Power Station, an active hydroelectric power plant right smack in the middle of Kyoto. I was quite taken with it when I came across it by accident after going to lunch at a lovely organic cafe nearby. Fortunately, it is never going to become a tourist attraction. Not very many people are likely to be interested in it at all. (I was delighted to see another traveler, especially a Japan expert, even mention it.)

I ditched the Top Ten lists for Kyoto long ago, but I do have the benefit of having seen many of the places on them in the years before govertourismh became a scourge on the city. And I am fortunate to be able to go to Japan pretty often, so I donft fall victim to FOMO. I feel for the tourists who donft know where else to go, and might not have another chance to tour this great city. But sometimes I wonder why they donft dig just a bit deeper. (Of course, there are those who actually do things like ask for opinions on this forum!)
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/11 14:07
I always thought of the Philosopher path as a logical path to walk from one temple to the next in Higashiyama. So for me it always seemed like a place youfll likely to come through regardless if you WANT to visit or not if you are visiting temples in that area.

But yes, nowadays I donft generally go to these places anymore. So much nature and places to explore around Kyoto. 🤫
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/11 15:36
@Kim - regarding the power plant - the interest comes from my career in the electricity industry in NZ and Australia. But, having explored literally hundreds of places around Kyoto over many months, the place keeps coming up with gems that simply wouldn't interest the casual one-time visitor.
Just on the "Romance" car, there is a reason it is named that way, and quite simple - there is no middle arm rest. While other companies use the term, Odakyu holds the trademark "Romancecar".

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/11 16:35
Thanks for your continuous input. I am looking forward to this travel and I am doing so much research to get the most without getting frustrated with selfie sticks on my face. Never heard if the power plant. I will look into it. Heian is now in the list !

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/11 17:01
I love both places. Not at last because both are part of the highly fascinating water canal network between Biwako and Kyoto, which was very important in Kyoto's early industrial history. But I agree that outside of the cherry blossom season, the Philosopher's Path makes for not much more than a nice walk through a relatively pleasant neighborhood between Ginkakuji and Nanzenji/Eikando.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/11 21:31
SG, I think that unless you have some particular reason to be interested in power plants (I do myself), the Ebisugawa Station probably isnft worth even looking into. Sort of a red herring as far as this thread goes, and I didnft mean to gstart something.h As JapanCustomTours said, Kyoto is full of gems that wouldnft interest the casual one-time visitor. It keeps me coming back to this city over and over again, but many people are not able to do that so they do have to prioritize. (And then there are some who say gIfve already been to Kyoto, so I donft need to go there againch I can never quite fathom that.) The power plant does date back to the time of the philosopherfs walk philosophers, but as far as the history of Kyoto goes, that was only yesterday. I would just say do keep your eyes and your mind open as you go around this fabulous city, and you are likely to find all sorts of things that delight you personally but will never get into any tour books.

If you go to Heian Shrine, I recommend going to the garden there (you have to pay a fee to get in, but itfs well worth it in my opinion). There are cherry trees there. And if you happen to pass by the power plant, do pause and take a look!
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Keage incline vs Philopher's path 2024/1/11 22:21
Input on the power station was useful. Now I know that it was the first comercial hydroelectric plant in Japan. So thanks !

reply to this thread