Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Activities for 4 days in Takayama and around 2024/1/10 04:59
Hi there,
I want to spend around 4 days in the greater Takayama area end of January, coming from Tokyo by bus. My plan is to stay in:

1) Okuhida Onsen (1 night)
--> Just looking forward to the onsens in town, but are there any other acitivies like hiking, snowshoeing etc. that are possible and accessible without a car? Any guided tours that could be booked?

2) Takayama (2 nights)
--> One relaxed day in Takayama
--> Visit Shirakawago (from Takayama, would have been interested to stay in a farmhouse, but when I last checked, everything was already booked out).

Do you have any additional tips on activities or places to see during this season around Takayama?

Thanks!
by Henri (guest)  

Re: Activities for 4 days in Takayama and around 2024/1/10 13:22
In the middle of winter… I LF you have the time I would do Ainokura instead of Shirakawa. But can be aPIA to get there w/o a car.
Otherwise in Takayama ther is Hida folk village. I probably wouldn’t do both a real village and the folk village

I would stay an extra night in Hirayu onsen and soak in the water for hours on end.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Activities for 4 days in Takayama and around 2024/1/11 02:04
Thanks!
I did not have Ainokura on my list, but this seems to be a nice alternative instead of Shirakawago. Bus connections look decent enough. But yes, I also did consider just staying the Okuhida region for another nigt.
by Henri (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Activities for 4 days in Takayama and around 2024/1/11 04:48
There are other places, but you really need a car. For example, the Hida Great Limestone Cave, or the Utsue 48 Falls. Not exactly the time of year I'd love to go to the falls, but it's an option.
https://www.syonyudo.com
https://www.48taki.com
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Activities for 4 days in Takayama and around 2024/1/11 08:25
Shirakawago is a lovely place to visit but very busy and with an underlying feeling these days as a cultural Disneyland. I'd definitely suggest visiting Shirakawago but then (if you can) travel a bit further and stay up at Ainokura. We always stay at a place called Goyoman in Ainokura - a really nice family run Gassho-Zukuri run by a lovely family.
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread