Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Earthquake 2024/1/11 18:12
hi all
WRT to the recent earthquake on new yr, is it still advisable to go nagano, niigata area in May 2024?
Will the snow wall be open?
by rongruo (guest)  

Re: Earthquake 2024/1/11 18:20
The areas outside of the Noto Peninsula are not affected in a major way. There is little reason to avoid these places in my personal opinion, especially not a few months down the road. To the opposite: such behavior would cause unnecessary additional damage to the region.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake 2024/1/11 20:02
I was also wondering if my planned visit to Komatsu in Ishikawa at the end of February would still be advisable. I understand that as far out as Komatsu there is very little damage, but would tourism to the area be unwelcome at this time? Perhaps it could actually be welcome...
by harkins rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake 2024/1/12 08:15
Even closer - like Kanazawa city, there is little apparent damage in the central city areas from the reports I have seen. Yes, the hill suburbs of the city have faced damage, but that is not where typical tourists visit.
As with other natural disasters, the intense damage can be very localised. I have needed to travel to places severely affected by typhoons in the past, including a particularly devastating one that hit Hiroshima. Other than a factory visit that got cancelled, the central city was basically untouched as it was (again) the hillside suburbs that were affected.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake 2024/1/12 20:07
Tourism helps recover economy. Please don't hesitate to come as tourists as long as accommodations and municipals are accepting them.

You can update yourselves by browsing official websites of hotels, ryokans and municipals.
https://www-city-komatsu-lg-jp.translate.goog/index.html?_x_tr_sl=auto...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake 2024/1/12 22:37
The governor of Ishikawa Prefecture is encouraging tourism, except in northern Noto Penninsula. You can support Ishikawa Prefecture by visiting cities like Kanazawa and Kaga.
https://youtu.be/fPbUBHrX7Vk?si=GnjUyqOXylUiqWCQ&t=52
by ITO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake 2024/1/13 12:26
I assume the Snow Wall you are referring to is the one at Murodo in the Alpine Route (actually in Toyama). In that case, it will still be open in May.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake 2024/1/15 16:49
I'm in Japan atm and the snowfall amounts have been very inconsistent. Only now is there more consistent amounts of accumulating snow nationwide and temperatures are cold enough that it isn't melting. I would double check to see how high that snow wall is. I don't have much experience or visited but that is just an observation.

by Villagemayor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread