Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Eastern Kyoto walking itinerary 2024/1/12 08:09
The full day Eastern Kyoto walking itinerary on the japan-guide website looks great but just wondering if its feasible to do it all in one day without feeling rushed. We will be doing it in winter so shorter days. If you think its too rushed what do suggest to leave out. I was thinking we could start at Nanzenji instead of Ginkakuji.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3950_eastern_kyoto_full.html
by Bob (guest)  

Re: Eastern Kyoto walking itinerary 2024/1/12 11:42
I think you can do it quite easily - the Philosopher's Path you can be done with in 30 minutes - in winter there won't be much at all in terms of scenery. I didn't find Yasaka Shrine to give some kind of epiphany either - you can just walk through it and look around a bit. As for Sannenzaka & Ninenzaka, again, worth looking through, but it depends if you want to stop there for shopping, eating etc. It also gets jammed with people, but winter is not as bad as the warmer months. Other places like Kodaiji, Shorenin and Chionin I found much more appealing.
Nanzenji is one of the more interesting places there, actually (and don't miss the Tenjuan subtemple). Gion is best in the evening.
Of course your mileage may vary.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Eastern Kyoto walking itinerary 2024/1/12 17:11
That itinerary makes sense, and the path going from north to south is intuitive. It should take you less than 8 hours.

However, if you're not into shopping and don't mind the lack of sunlight for your photos*, I would recommend starting by Kiyomizu-dera. All shops will be closed before 9:00 (and most of them until 10:00) which makes the streets look a bit dead, but at least you can walk at your own speed.

*IMO, if the sky is clear, the temple is at its best just before sunset.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Eastern Kyoto walking itinerary 2024/1/12 20:59
@Ken @Mellye
Thanks so much for your replies
by Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Eastern Kyoto walking itinerary 2024/1/13 13:35
I would recommend starting by Kiyomizu-dera.

I agree.

The reasons are:

Todayfs Kyoto is full of tourists. Even if it is not the top season, tourist spots are full of crowds. Among of them, Kiyomizuderafs approach is the worst crowded place since all the people visiting Kiyomizudera must go through it. It is most crowded in the afternoon, while in the morning it is less congested. So you may better start with the most crowded place in less congested hours.
You should do your trip as your hotel to place A, walk to place B and then back to your hotel. Place B to your hotel will be in the afternoon when the public transport will be most crowded. From Nanzenji you can catch subway (from Keage station) which will be far less crowded than the bus from Kiyomiuzdera.

I traveled three times to Kyoto in recent 3 years and stayed somewhat off center (or off JR Kyoto station). In general, bus is not recommended, however if you take the morning bus from the off-center bus stops, you can take your seat rather easily. The bus stop I used are Oishibashi (Subway Kujo station), Bunkaco-mae Fucho-mae (on Marutamachi street) and Shinmachi Oike. So the general rule would be take the morning bus from somewhat off center bus stop (note that it does not start at JR Kyoto station) and come back in the late afternoon with some kind of train including subway, Keihan, JR Hankyu etc.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Eastern Kyoto walking itinerary 2024/1/16 21:32
Thanks @frog1954. Very helpful thoughts. I will take your suggestions about planning around the crowds.
by Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread