Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Koyasan and Hiroshima 2024/1/15 21:09
Good afternoon,

it will be my 5th time in Japan, I am going with a friend who is going to Japan for the 1st time.

So basically I am planning to go to Koyasan for schedule reasons on 4th of August and then on 5th of August and 6th I will stay in Hiroshima, I booked a room on the 5th in Miyajima island and planning to book 1 night in Hiroshima city. I've been 3 times on both but since my friend is coming for the 1st time and in the 6th we want to see Toro Nagashi which I had never seen.

So my question lies on my day in Koyasan, for schedule issues I thought about doing a daytrip from Osaka and come back to Osaka, I've heard is doable. But many people say shukubo experience in a temple is worth, I have seen prices and it is not cheap at all, I had been to traditional acommodation before, ryokan and even gassho zukuri in Shirakawa-go but my main concern is time, if I stay in Koyasan I will have to have breakfast there and then come from Koyasan to Osaka and switch trains to Hiroshima and arrive Miyajima, I know I can do both in 1 day and a half, but do you really think is it worth all this effort? Besides that I've heard the cemetery Okunoin at night is very interesting, but many people go there during daylight, what do you think? Tips or Feedback welcome, consider that my main concern is time and secondly I don't really know if it's worth spending this money, I'm also from HK so buddhist issues are also something I had to grow up with, not in the sense of going to stay in temples but praying or setting incense etc it is something not very uncommon for my background.

Thank you
by Peter1986  

Re: Koyasan and Hiroshima 2024/1/16 07:51
There is one gbusiness hotelh in Koyasan. I stayed there because I was not interested in temple shukubo. The only thing a foreigner may hesitate is their bathing facility is communal, but you get your own toilet in your room (at least the room I stayed at was like that). I would stay there again. The thing to be careful is there are not many restaurant there and they close very early. Buy some food/snacks before all stores close.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/VdruHjns8bGpyYjk9?g_st=ic

by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Koyasan and Hiroshima 2024/1/16 07:59
To me your plan seems hectic. On the day you move from Koya-San to Miyajima youfll spend something like 7 h in transport. So essentially the full day. I donft think this is worth it. If you cut Koya-San or Miyajima is your decision.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Koyasan and Hiroshima 2024/1/16 08:01
many people say shukubo experience in a temple is worth, I have seen prices and it is not cheap at all, . . . I will have to have breakfast there and then come from Koyasan to Osaka and switch trains to Hiroshima and arrive Miyajima
For stays I have done in traditional lodging, for me Koyasan was the most over-priced, poor value stay I can think of. The experience and treatment by the monks where we stayed wasn't particularly good either.
However, getting from Koyasan to Hiroshima and Miyajima is doable without too much drama, just takes a few transfers and time.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Koyasan and Hiroshima 2024/1/16 08:32
You are planning to get a hotel room for August 6th in Hiroshima? It is the anniversary of the A-Bomb dropped there, so expect it to be very busy and maybe a bit more expensive.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Koyasan and Hiroshima 2024/1/16 10:15
I visited Koyasan as a day trip (actually, from Kyoto; I left early) and found it to be quite manageable. For me, Okunoin was by far the best place. I wouldnft go there at night because itfs too dark to really see the place. As for staying at a temple, if I really wanted to do that I think I would try some other location, to be honest. I have heard quite a few negative comments about Koyasan shukobos. Of course, some people have a good experience there and really love it.

From Osaka you could get to Koyasan fairly early, visit Okunoin and pick two or three other sites, and even do some hiking, and still get back to Osaka for dinner.

I wouldnft go to Hiroshima on August 6 unless I wanted to really devote myself to thinking about war and peace, and wanted to be with a large number of other people who were doing the same.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread