Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Chuugoku and Shikoku planning 2024/1/15 21:23
Hello ,

5th time trip to Japan, already been to matsuri in Tohoku (mainly Nebuta and Kanto) and a light visit to Sapporo and Otaru, Toya Lake and Noboribetsu. So this time my trip will be focused in Western Japan and Kanto. Going with a friend who goes for the first time, so Osaka and Kyoto and Tokyo I will manage since I had been many times.

Western Japan and Shikoku are new to me so I made like a small planning, do you think is doable? would you change anything?

5th August - Arrive to Miyajima and overnight there

6th August - Stay in Hiroshima and enjoy toro nagashi and the monuments

7th August- There's a lantern festival in Yamaguchi, stay there one night, I have a night booked in Yuda Onsen, is it worth seen Rurikoji now? (heard there's a scaffolding over the pagoda)

8th August- Go to Onomichi from Yamaguchi, stay there and enjoy temple walk etc. I hope is doable, overnight in Onomichi.

9th August- From Onomichi take early train to arrive Matsuyama, should take 4 hours, I don't really know if there's much to see, but the idea is visit Dogo Onsen, Ishiteji temple, Matsuyama castle and go to JR Shimonada to see the sunset and come back, hotel is right next JR Matsuyama station.

10th August- Matsuyama to JR Kochi, there's Yosakoi festival, basically go early also and visit Katsurahama, Mount Godai (if possible) and then Hirome market and the downtown area and see the festival, no accomodation booked so if I can't find I will stay awake and pick first train to JR Takamatsu.

11th August- Go to JR Takamatsu, light day, basically since 9th and 10th are tough days my idea is to take it calmly, maybe walking around the city center and go to Megijima or Ogijima, any suggestion is welcome. Overnight in Takamatsu. Should take 2 hours by train from Kochi to Takamatsu

12th August- Go to Naoshima and spend the day there. Maybe rent a bike? or go around with the bus? I think 1 day from Takamatsu should be doable. Overnight Takamatsu

13th August- Morning visit Ritsurin in Takamatsu city. Then after that go to Tokushima city to see AWA ODORI and come back with train at 10 PM to Takamatsu, anything interesting to see in Tokushima before the AWA ODORI?

14th August- Leave Takamatsu back to Himeji or Kobe to follow my trip to Kansai.

So that's all, what do you think? I am fast pace traveler, so I am used to take early trains if needed since it's matsuri season, I did from Kanto matsuri next day pick train at 7-8 AM to Aomori or even 5 AM from Hakodate to Lake Toya, so although it's a bit annoying if needed I can do it, I prioritise not spending 1 day and a half when you can do something in 1 day even it's a bit rush, because I will end up spending 2 days for that.

Thank you

by Peter1986  

Re: Chuugoku and Shikoku planning 2024/1/16 08:07
For Takamatsu, consider adding Shikoku Mura open air museum - a bit different and interesting.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Chuugoku and Shikoku planning 2024/1/16 08:33
You seem to really enjoy matsuris!

Are you planning to use a train pass for that trip? Otherwise, it would be faster to take a combination of bus and train from Onomichi to Matsuyama.

And from Matsuyama to Kochi, there's a direct bus.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Chuugoku and Shikoku planning 2024/1/16 09:54
The middle of the itinerary is very rushed. Half day travelling and sleep, don't leave much time for sightseeing.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Chuugoku and Shikoku planning 2024/1/17 21:00
Your Kochi day seems very rushed. It takes a long time to go to Katsuharama and to Godaisan, and you can stay there long to enjoy the place. Since the festival starts around noon, you could go before, but probably not to both places. Also, Hirome market will be packed with people because of the yosakoi festival. It is a great experience, but expect a long wait if you order food. I went there for the 2023 Yosakoi Matsuri as a dancer, but I had no time to get food because I had a tight dancing schedule. I hope you'll enjoy the yosakoi !
by Vienna Logan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Chuugoku and Shikoku planning 2024/1/17 22:56
About Rurikoji Temple: The pagoda will be undergoing repair until 2025 with full restoration not being completed until 2026. Since the pagoda is the main highlight, I would not visit. Joeiji Temple's Sesshu garden is nice, though.

Onomichi:
The temple walk in Onomichi is not so long, so it should be easy to do in a from Yamaguchi, especially since you will be staying in Onomichi.

Matsuyama:
Your Matsuyama plan may be difficult. Because you are traveling all the way from Onomichi, it seems that you cannot arrive earlier than 10:06. Matsuyama's sights are spread out and the tram is not so convenient timewise nor is it fast.

Looking at the times currently for August (I believe the timetable could change by August though), in order to get to Shimonada Station in time to take pictures of the sunset, you'd need to take a train from Matsuyama at 4:30 to Ozu and then transfer to reach Shimonada at 5:48 and wait about an hour for the sun to set at 6:36. If you are not so serious about the sunset and don't want a photo with a train, there is a train from Matsuyama at 5:54 that arrives exactly at sunset (6:36). If you're there at 5:48 though you can take pictures OF the 6:36 train at the station, which appeals to many photographers.

The day seems rushed and might be impossible for someone who wants to enjoy the sites or the city, but since you said you are not actually interested in anyplace in Matsuyama, I guess it should be easy to rush through or skip things to stay on time.

Kochi:
You won't really be able to arrive "early" in Kochi if you are coming from Matsuyama by train or by bus.

There are many buses to Katsurahama, so you could probably visit and be back around noon or slightly after noon, but the buses to Mount Godai are infrequent. Even with a taxi, you will arrive in Kochi too late to do both Mount Godai and Katsurahama before the Yosakoi starts. Kochi Castle is a great castle if you have time to visit while you are enjoying the festival and the market.

If you don't have accommodations in Kochi why not try to book a hotel in Takamatsu that night rather than staying up all night? If you have to stay in Kochi through the night, you could pay at a karaoke bar to spend the night in a booth and sleep there.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Chuugoku and Shikoku planning 2024/1/18 07:23
As for the last train to Takamatsu it departs at 20:34 from Kochi station...isn't it too early? I mean until what time does Yosakoi last?

thank you
by Peter1986 rate this post as useful

Re: Chuugoku and Shikoku planning 2024/1/18 11:02
For Miyajima, if you are going to overnight there, check both the high and low tide times for the shrine. It gives a nice contrast and you can actually walk out on to the beach to the giant torii gate. Don't miss the Daishoin temple either.
As for Rurikoji, if you aren't inclined to go there because of the pagoda, you could instead go somewhere else like to Iwakuni, or deeper inland to Akiyoshido & Akiyoshidai.
When you go to Onomichi, you can do yourself a big favor and get a map of the temple tour at the tourist info office if you don't already have one. There are many narrow walkways and sometimes it's hard to know where to go. If you want to get to Matsuyama quicker, why not go by high speed boat or ferry from Hiroshima?
https://goo.gl/V6K1jx

I've been to Kochi and Mount Godai, and the castle there was not bad, plus the view from the mountain quite nice - but getting to Godai and back conveniently was a hassle. You might rent a car, and make it easier to go to the beach.
If you're asking for other ideas in Kagawa besides Megijima or Ogijima, you could go to Kotohira and do the Konpirasan hike there. It was really nice and the trip up is just as good as the view over the valley below. No matter what, don't skip Ritsurin.
https://goo.gl/fpWZf5
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Chuugoku and Shikoku planning 2024/1/18 17:53
REgarding the yosakoi, it starts around noon and ends around 10 PM. I think you'll have plenty of time to enjoy the festival even if you leave at 8:30 PM. The train station is within a walking distance from the main dancing places.

You may want to reserve a seat though, I am expecting this train to be crowded.
by Vienna Logan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread