Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

JR Kansai-Hiroshima Pass 2024/1/18 03:15
I'm really confused as to whether the JR Kansai-Hiroshima Pass can use the Nozomi/Mizuho trains at no extra cost or not.

JR pass website states:
"NOZOMI" and "MIZUHO" trains on the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen Lines are not covered by the JAPAN RAIL PASS. However, if a JAPAN RAIL PASS holder additionally purchases an [ONLY WITH JAPAN RAIL PASS] NOZOMI MIZUHO Ticket before boarding the train, the PASS holder may use a "NOZOMI" or "MIZUHO" Shinkansen bullet train.

While japan-guide states
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_kansai_hiroshima.html
Unlimited use of the Sanyo Shinkansen (including Nozomi and Mizuho) between Shin-Osaka and Hiroshima. However, the Tokaido Shinkansen between Kyoto and Osaka is not covered.

So, can we use Nozomi without additional charge?
by MapleLeaf (guest)  

Re: JR Kansai-Hiroshima Pass 2024/1/18 07:21
JR pass website states:

This is the source of your confusion. You checked the Japan Rail Pass website rather than the Kansai-Hiroshima Pass website! They are two different passes!

The statement by japan-guide.com is correct. Nozomi and Mizuho trains are covered by the HKansai-Hiroshima Pass.

You can also read about it on the pass' official website here:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai_hiroshima/
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR Kansai-Hiroshima Pass 2024/1/21 03:25
Thank you for the clarification! It will be my first time using any kind of JR pass at all so I tried to read from various sources.

The price increase announcement coupled with the said inclusion of nozomi/mizuho trains for the general JR pass left me confused. I didnft know there were different JR companies. I really thought the same rules applied to regional passes.

Thank you! I can finally reserve seats in peace.
by MapleLeaf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Kansai-Hiroshima Pass 2024/1/21 04:55
There are some non-JR websites
whose title or domain name (part of the address)
may make you think as if that website were a JR website about rail passes.
Be careful.

I didnft know there were different JR companies.

There are six JR regional passenger railway companies.

JR-Central,
who solely operates the Tōkaidō Shinkansen
(Tōkyō -- Nagoya -- Kyōto -- Shin-Ōsaka),
has nothing to do with rail passes which are issued solely by JR-West.

Therefore,
JR-West Kansai-Hiroshima Area Pass
does not cover the Shinkansen section Kyōto -- Shin-Ōsaka.
(You cannot take NOZOMI or HIKARI trains from Kyōto with this pass.)

With this pass,
you can take Local, Rapid, Special Rapid and Limited Express trains
for the conventional line section Kyōto --Ōsaka -- Shin-Ōsaka.

Shinkansen trains run not via Ōsaka Station;
they use Shin-Ōsaka instead.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: JR Kansai-Hiroshima Pass 2024/1/21 05:30
I would not want to be a first-time tourist trying to sort out all this rail pass stuff. And it has only gotten more complicated and difficult with the new prices, and the change to the nationwide JR pass that "allows" users to ride the Nozomi and Mizuho (with a ridiculously high surcharge).

I think the bottom line is that you have to really check the detailed conditions for each individual pass you are considering, because the differences can be significant. But at least many of the regional passes are still a real bargain. Let's hope they stay that way, for a while at least.

My best wishes go out to anyone trying to figure out all this stuff for the first time. (Add to that the business with IC cards, especially with the fact that a "chip shortage" is making some of them temporarily available.) Ha! It really kills me when I see some people who have been to Japan a bazillion time crow about how "easy" do-it-yourself travel in Japan is.

But what I will say is that at least Japan is a very safe (and clean, and polite) place, and there are many kind people (including some forum posters like Omotenashi who are so very generous with their time) who will try to help you if you need it.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Kansai-Hiroshima Pass 2024/1/25 21:02
Not a first time tourist, but the regional JR Pass will pay off for this upcoming trip. I do agree that there are a number of websites with the JR in their name leading to confusion. Thankfully I have found the official site and was able to reserve our seats already.

Thank you again for the information Uji, Omotenashi, and Kim! I appreciate the swift and detailed responses.
by MapleLeaf (guest) (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread